Crookes History

Did he have ginger hair? Knew a Tony Haynes (different spelling), he will be about 62/63.

It could be, I always thought Haynes was the correct spelling and the age is right, I'm not sure about the ginger hair, its a long time ago! What was he doing when you knew him?

It could be, I always thought Haynes was the correct spelling and the age is right, I'm not sure about the ginger hair, its a long time ago! What was he doing when you knew him?

Went to school with him. He wore Hank Marvin type glasses.

Dr Greenwood was my Doctor at what's now the Crookes Practice. He saved my life!!One morning when I was 13 my mum called him out and my appendix had burst. I was blue lighted into the Northern with only a couple of hours to live. The locum the previous night had said I'd got a urine infection.

I got fond memories of growing up on Crookes in the 70s and 80s. The best times were sledging on a huge plastic sheet my dad got me from work, we used to start right at the top of the Bolehills and go all the way down to the road at the bottom. In summer we used to grass sledge in cardboard boxes, lol.

I remember the Vimto shop, I think it was a temperance bar - sarsparilla etc.

Much has changed on that side of the road but it was about where there is a hairdresser's now. I vaguely remember the carpet shop but one I do recall was Ballins and also Wells's 'pricey' toy shop.

I remember the herbalist shop. licqourish sticks, aniseed balls, cocoa and sugar afraid that's where I spent my money intended for church collection

I grew up on Crookes in the 60s. Great place loved the shops . As a family we didn't have a car ,all our food requirements on the doorstep within walking distance. The candy cabin with Derick and Beryl was a favourite. The pet/flower shop was next door.

Then a butchers and the Co-op.

Now I no longer live in Sheffield, but I very often visit School Rd and Crookes on the web and feel like a ghost wandering the streets !

I also lived on School Road in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. I no longer live in Sheffield but still went to the dental practice on School Road until recently.

When I was growing up the area was populated by families, but it seems that it is now geared to rental type arrangements rather than long term ownership. The house I lived in is now divided into bedsits and the last time I visited the dentist, the roads were lined with cars and it seemed very congested.

The back of our house overlooked the Sheffield Water Works recreation ground and we often nipped over the garden wall and used that area as our playground (don't think we should have). I've got lots of happy memories of School Road area but wouldn't enjoy living there now.

I lived in Truswell Avenue next door to the Fry family. What a great road it was to live it. The family at the top of the road (their house overlooked the cemetery) (A quick way to Lydgate School if we were late) owned a lorry and it became whatever we wanted it to be in our games of Robin Hood I was in love with the boy down the road- sadly i cannot remember his name but his Dad was a policeman.

We use to go to the Cinema a great saturday morning club also the one in Wakley was another haunt - I moved there in the late 50'.

Here goes my one and only, mega-obscure connection with Crookes. When I was a young lad doing City and Guilds at an ancient education facility near Kelham Island (circa 1967) I met a lad there with similar interests to my own ie motorbikes. His name was Tony Haines, he rode a Triumph with upswept bars, he wore a pudding-basin helmet and smoked a cigarette whilst riding. He said his parents ran a chip shop at Crookes and we went there once or twice on our bikes to sample the wares.

The above quote seems to be the only reference in this entire thread. So where are you Tony? You will be knocking 60 now. Does anyone remember you because no one seems to remember your folks!

Tony Haines parents were called Eric and Mavis and they ran the chippy at the bottom of Bolehill Lane. I believe it was called Bolehill Fisheries.

Hi, On my grandads Marriage Cert. he lived at 161 Crookes and he married my grandma who lived at 199 Crookes, this was in 1927. My mother was born at 199 Crookes in 1928. As far as I know in 1928 No 199 was a fish and chip shop.

Hi Everyone from Shane in earthquaked Christchurch NZ.

Over the years I've been studying a family from Ireland that moved to Sheffield.

One in particular Thomas Leslie Crooke 1861-1943 (born Sheffield),(died Christchurch NZ)

Could anyone tell me where the name CROOKES came from and its connection with your Sheffield.Ie is it and English name?

Is Crookes far away from where I started my research "Langsetts Road"?

Edited by ResearcherNZ

Hi Everyone from Shane in earthquaked Christchurch NZ.

Over the years I've been studying a family from Ireland that moved to Sheffield.

One in particular Thomas Leslie Crooke 1861-1943 (born Sheffield),(died Christchurch NZ)

Could anyone tell me where the name CROOKES came from and its connection with your Sheffield.Ie is it and English name?

Is Crookes far away from where I started my research "Langsetts Road"?

#

Hi there,

here's a link to the info on WIKI-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes

Langsett Road is not far from Crookes-maybe 1 mile max!

Info on Langsett road too-

http://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/results/results.aspx?sp=1&q=langsett+road&c=web&s=NFAS&v=19&tid=%7bC07DB34C-575E-4314-B2DB-24991A29262F%7d

Hope this is useful,

Regards,

mumsy