Crookes History

Wonder how many of us know each other. Anyone go to Western Road in the 50's ?

Went to infants, juniors and seniors, left in 1957. Love to hear from anyone who was there with me such as Margaret Roberts, Jean Beaumont, Vivienne, Pauline (can't remember their surnames) just to mention a few. I lived on Bates Street, but still don't know whether that's Crooks or Walkley.

Went to infants, juniors and seniors, left in 1957. Love to hear from anyone who was there with me such as Margaret Roberts, Jean Beaumont, Vivienne, Pauline (can't remember their surnames) just to mention a few. I lived on Bates Street, but still don't know whether that's Crooks or Walkley.

You're just a couple of years older than me then

You're just a couple of years older than me then
k

perhaps you remember practising the steps to make the Union Jack (I think all the schools in Sheffield took part and we all had to go to Hillsborough Stadium?) because the Queen came.

k

perhaps you remember practising the steps to make the Union Jack (I think all the schools in Sheffield took part and we all had to go to Hillsborough Stadium?) because the Queen came.

I do remember that but I think only the girls did the flag thing. It was at the Wednesday ground. I remember her going round in the open Land Rover and the little blue pen knives they gave us boys. (imagine that today :-)

Can't remember what we girls got but now you mention it I do remember the penknives.

I remember getting a blue penknife and going to the Wednesday ground, the Queen also came down the main road of Crookes in an open air tram, and came out to wave to all the people who flocked outside the Cutlers Hall that Night to catch a glimpse of her.

I remember the blue penknives clearly Skippy ( hope you are keeping well ). They were blue plastic with a gold logo and a single blade. I think they were made by Richardsons - it being deemed appropriate, for a City famous for it's cutlery to give these to the boys. Nowadays, it would be unthinkable unless accompanied by an ASBO. The girls were given a small pair of scissors. My abiding memory is that all the pocket knives broke when you tried to use them ! They were complete rubbish.

I don't recall HMQ, riding down Crookes in an open tram, but I was certainly sent to the Wednesday ground to see the Royal couple. They drove round the ground in an open car and I remember thinking that they were heavily made-up.

I remember getting a blue penknife and going to the Wednesday ground, the Queen also came down the main road of Crookes in an open air tram, and came out to wave to all the people who flocked outside the Cutlers Hall that Night to catch a glimpse of her.

Hi,

I remember going to the Wednesday ground too...still using the scissors that the girls got. So they must have been good quality !!

Great. I wonder if any one out there still has a penknife.

I think she got off for a pint in the Top Shop :rolleyes:

The former RC Church was on School Road and was called "The Church of Our Lady" and the new one on Pickmere Road combined that, with the once St. Vincent's Church on Solly Street, to form the new St.Vincent's Church at Crookes.

The church was called Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, and along with St Joseph's in Walkley, was a chapel of ease of St Vincent's Parish, serving the surrounding Catholic community. St Vincent's church was on Solly street in town. As numbers of parishioners living around St Vincent's dwindled the site of the tram sheds was bought and the new chuch built. It is true that it was a new building, but the churches did not combine as they were all the same parish, served by the same priests, and the same church community. The three church buildings were no longer needed so two of the three buildings were sold. Old St Vincent's is still there. The building is a skeleton of its former self.

I remember Jewitts bakery as I worked there on a Saturday. It was on the corner of Marston Road, where the Admiral Fish and chip shop is now.

Does anyone remember Thomas's bakery on the corner of Wesley Lane?