Crookes History

This brought back a few memories for me after receiving it from an old class mate, May Day at Crookes Endowed, taken between 1958/62 ? I must have wagged it that day.

You would probably know a couple of these people DUFFEMS.

scan0034.jpg

Sorry Skippy, I only lived in Crookes from 1948-51 but, my father lived on Toyne Street from the 1920's-51.

Duffems

Sorry Skippy, I only lived in Crookes from 1948-51 Duffems

The little lass with the cross marked on her shoulder, who is behind the kid sitting on the floor is Ruby Greatbach.

Hey Tooeg. Did you live round there. I see from your earlier post you mentioned Joe Hoole. I knew him well. Used to hang out with his nephew Dick Hoole. His dad was Sam. Sam and Joe had the coal business together

Sorry I never replied to this.

I lived on Bole Hill Rd opposite the Bole Hills, the first block of houses after the school as you go out of town.

The little lass with the cross marked on her shoulder, who is behind the kid sitting on the floor is Ruby Greatbach.

Thanks Skippy, I now understand what you meant. I never met Ruby or any of the other Greatbatch people other than my "adopted" grandmother Elizabeth (Thomas Greatbatch's wife). I'll let Kath (another Greatbatch) know about this, many thanks.

Regards,

Duffems.

Hi Duffems cant believe how much information you know about Crookes, as

you only lived there for 3yrs. Do you read about the history ?

I only lived there from 1951 until 1975. Then visited upto 1989 but my

Granparents lived there from 40s on School Rd.

I remember Candy Cabin, my mum worked in the co-op a few doors up (Sheila) in the 70s. I remember stacking the shelves in the school holidays and breaking up boxes in the back room, lol. I also lived on Pickmere Road up to 1986. My ex-hubby was a tractor driver from the tram sheds too ....... blast from the past.

Do you remember Mavis in the beer-off nr zebra crossing?? Ron the butcher at top of School Rd is still going strong, he saw me grow up and my kids lol.

Caz

When I lived on School Rd the butchers at the top of the road was

Fred Burrows he had a Daughter called Candy she also eventually worked in

the shop.

Hi skippy

I can see that is Ruby [my sister in-law ] I will show her this picture.

Is there any more Greatbatchs in the picture I can't seem to pic em out?

Her sisters were Margaret ,Audrey brothers Philip and Trevor.

Were was it taken?

Hi jaffa1, many thanks for replying. I didn't receive your pm, could you send it again please?

This is an enigma which I've been trying to resolve for many years since my father died and I found he'd been "adopted".

Regards,

Duffems

Hi Duffems

I'm still trying to find the info for you that I once had, I can tell you that I got it off the Original Sheffieldindexters.

Many years ago Trevor was working on a job [floortiler] with his brother in Worksop he says it was a Woolworths. They got talking to some other workers and when they said they were from Crookes one of the other workers

said he was adopted by a family from Crookes.

Or it could have been he said his father was adopted by a family from Crookes. Could this have been you or your father? Would have been in the late sixties or early 70s

Hi Duffems

I'm still trying to find the info for you that I once had, I can tell you that I got it off the Original Sheffieldindexters.

Many years ago Trevor was working on a job [floortiler] with his brother in Worksop he says it was a Woolworths. They got talking to some other workers and when they said they were from Crookes one of the other workers

said he was adopted by a family from Crookes.

Or it could have been he said his father was adopted by a family from Crookes. Could this have been you or your father? Would have been in the late sixties or early 70s

I doubt it, my father's adopted father died in 1928 and his adopted mother was 56 when she adopted him in 1923.

I have found who my father's natural mother was but, I'm not inclined to post on a public forum, sadly, she died when my father was just 5 weeks old which is why he was adopted.

Prior to 1927 adoptions didn't carry documented evidence so they were merely arrangements between people, this is where the difficulties lie in trying to find evidence.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Duffems.

Hi All,

I am new to this page and lived on Tasker Rd until 1966 then School Rd until 1975!!! When I left the area at the age of 24 to go and live with my husband.

My Mum and brother lived on School Rd until 1989 so I returned to the area many times to visit.

I attended St Joseph’s Primary School, Walkley and then St Paul’s, Granville Rd and start there the year that it opened.

I have really enjoyed viewing all the posts on here – it has really made me chuckle and brought back some fond memories. Posts that have stood out are the posts regarding the Kandy Kabin (With Dereck and Beryl)!!!

Great times!!! :-)

Did you know the O'neill family on Tasker road ?

Used to live on Springvale Rd. My elderly neighbour told stories about the night the blitz hit, a bomb landing in his garden.