Crookes History

I believe I do but it's a bit of a stretch. I think you guy's went to Bolehill etc and I went to Western Road

Hi John, I think my elder brother went to WESTERN RD SCHOOL , he was 3 years older than me and would now be 70 had he lived, sadly died at the age of 31 he was called Trevor Ward . He passed the 11+ and went on to Nether Edge !

Hi John, I think my elder brother went to WESTERN RD SCHOOL , he was 3 years older than me and would now be 70 had he lived, sadly died at the age of 31 he was called Trevor Ward . He passed the 11+ and went on to Nether Edge !

Hi again

Just a little before my time. Sounds like I am one year younger than you

John

ps

Didn't ya just love the Lollypop Shop :-)

Hi again

Just a little before my time. Sounds like I am one year younger than you

John

ps

Didn't ya just love the Lollypop Shop :-)

Hi John, our cellar was underneath The Lollypop Shop and people used to drop cash and it used to fall down our grate and we used to colect and get extra spending money ! NO one ever came round to our house and asked for there money back !

I also used to be friends with GLYN & GARRY JACKSON whose's parents owned the shop at the top of Greenhow Street and also one at the bottom on South Road and funny enough they had the same thing happen at there bottom shop ,people used to drop cash down there cellar grate !!

After they gave up the grocery life, Glynn had the large boat sales place at Unstone for quite a few years. ( handy for the sea?)

After they gave up the grocery life, Glynn had the large boat sales place at Unstone for quite a few years. ( handy for the sea?)

Thanks for that Tooeg , I have been in there several times but never knew he owned it !

My daughter and son in law are into boats (they live in Jersey) and have there own boat !

Was his nickname Slick.

Billy Sales was a blast from the past. They were both 2/3 years older than me at Bole Hill

I remember Billy Sales and the Greatbatchs.

I remember Billy Sales and the Greatbatchs.

Which Greatbatch did you know please? I'm not from Crookes but, my father was "adopted" by a Greatbatch couple (many years ago though!), just curious as I've been trying to research his family for many years and hit brick walls.

Which Greatbatch did you know please? I'm not from Crookes but, my father was "adopted" by a Greatbatch couple (many years ago though!), just curious as I've been trying to research his family for many years and hit brick walls.

You haven't hit a brick wall here.

Your father was adopted by one of the Greatbatchs from Crookes.

I will find out as much as I can and come back to you on this.

I'm a family member.

Watch this space.

You haven't hit a brick wall here.

Your father was adopted by one of the Greatbatchs from Crookes.

I will find out as much as I can and come back to you on this.

I'm a family member.

Watch this space.

My father was "adopted" by Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Hayes) Greatbatch in 1923, this was prior to documented adoptions so he had no papers. Thomas Greatbatch died in 1928 due to the effects of WW1 and Elizabeth Greatbatch died in 1951 (I can remember her quite well). I know that the family lived in Ranmoor prior to moving to Toyne Street, Crookes.

I can give more detail but, I'm unable to pm you, could you pm me so that I can give you my private e-mail address please.

Duffems

My father was "adopted" by Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Hayes) Greatbatch in 1923, this was prior to documented adoptions so he had no papers. Thomas Greatbatch died in 1928 due to the effects of WW1 and Elizabeth Greatbatch died in 1951 (I can remember her quite well). I know that the family lived in Ranmoor prior to moving to Toyne Street, Crookes.

I can give more detail but, I'm unable to pm you, could you pm me so that I can give you my private e-mail address please.

Duffems

I did PM you but I'm new to this site so I hope I did it correctly.

I did PM you but I'm new to this site so I hope I did it correctly.

I didn't receive a pm and I'm unable to pm you so, could you kindly pm me again please?

I'm extremely eager to learn of anything at all as my father has been gone many years now so I've no one to relate to about his "adoption".

I didn't receive a pm and I'm unable to pm you so, could you kindly pm me again please?

I'm extremely eager to learn of anything at all as my father has been gone many years now so I've no one to relate to about his "adoption".

Giving this a bump in the hope that jaffa1 sees it.