Crookes History

There were actually three Co-op stores. The one near Kandy Kabin survived until fairly recently as the Co-op funeral directors, another is now the horse and rider shop, but there was also the drapery shop at the top of Marston Road, now an Italian eatery - the Co-op logo is still there if you look. It was a wierd shop, I never ever saw ony one go in.

The first supermarket was "Finefare"

my grandmother jessie capp nee owen owned the shop oppisite the horse and rider was called owens little star ....my great grandad was a drapper they live behined the shop ....my mum took over the shop from the late 70's to 1993 was called blooming wonderfull....my dad was noel capp he passed away in 1997 would love to know more about that part of my family have just gone though some photos my brother had and have found afew old photos of the shop when they 1st opened it . will try and get them on with links hopfully soon.

my grandmother jessie capp nee owen owned the shop oppisite the horse and rider was called owens little star ....my great grandad was a drapper they live behined the shop ....my mum took over the shop from the late 70's to 1993 was called blooming wonderfull....my dad was noel capp he passed away in 1997 would love to know more about that part of my family have just gone though some photos my brother had and have found afew old photos of the shop when they 1st opened it . will try and get them on with links hopfully soon.

I knew a man at Crookes called Frank Capp - he must be a relative? - who was interested in horseracing.

Just a bit of information - your great-grandad was evidently the William Owen who is listed in the 1925 directory at 210 Northfield Road. Your grandmother would have been the Jessie Owen who was born in Sheffield on 4 November 1908 and who died in Sheffield in July 1996. The 1973 directory lists "J. Capp, draper" at 210 Northfield Road.

I knew a man at Crookes called Frank Capp - he must be a relative? - who was interested in horseracing.

thats was my grandpa he passed away in 1993

Just a bit of information - your great-grandad was evidently the William Owen who is listed in the 1925 directory at 210 Northfield Road. Your grandmother would have been the Jessie Owen who was born in Sheffield on 4 November 1908 and who died in Sheffield in July 1996. The 1973 directory lists "J. Capp, draper" at 210 Northfield Road.

thanks hillsbro i found that info afew months bk with the help of my dads reative that lives in crosspool but thats all we really have we are try to find out more but thats all we have oh and the fact that he did have a warehouse at 6 norfolk rd . im aslo trying to find more info on the capp side as they moved here from knaresborough.

hi chairboy frank capp used to on in the grindstone alot ,i even have a photo of him and my big brother in there link:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38581&l=1ac44&id=744024498

Edited by fliketyflic1
added a link

i lived at Crookes terminus, my late father worked round the corner at the blood transfusion service for about 35 years.

I also went to Bolehill school - great days

i lived at Crookes terminus,

You would probably know the Cadwallanders, they had a couple of motorbike shops down the Moor & also lived at the terminus, they live 10 mins from me these days.

i lived at Crookes terminus, my late father worked round the corner at the blood transfusion service for about 35 years.

I also went to Bolehill school - great days

Hi I used to live at Crookes terminus (282 Heavygate Rd)at the back of the LOLLYPOP SHOP and also went to Bole Hill Road school till we moved to Lyons st , Pitsmoor in 1955 when I was about 13 1/2 years old but !

My name is Michael Ward now 66 years old do you know me, I had a brother Trevor 3 years older than me and a sister called Pamela 3 years younger than me !

I believe that Jimmy Jewel, the other half of the double act Jewel and Warris lived on Cobden View Road when he was a lad. However my late grandfather told me that he could remember the pair of them living in Heeley, Jimmy and Ben were cousins.

I believe that Jimmy Jewel, the other half of the double act Jewel and Warris lived on Cobden View Road when he was a lad. However my late grandfather told me that he could remember the pair of them living in Heeley, Jimmy and Ben were cousins.

My understanding on CVR - was the detatched house on the righthandside - going down - just below Springvale Road, which was investigated last year at the centre of a cannabis farm operation?

Hi Geoff. There were two! There was one by the cinema in the centre of Crookes and there was another one, now flats! - just above where the Kandy Kabin was that we've been talking about - in fact, they must have been almost next door.

For a picture of the one you were meaning go to - http://www.picturesheffield.com

Get the keyboard index - click C. Scroll down to Crookes Picture House and Bingo! (Not quite, but you have the location of those famed matinees!)

Perhaps I should point out that the Co-op is now where the picture house was. Previously, the store was at the other side of Newent Lane. There became a supermarket either side of the Lane, but the Co-op moved across to take up an existing liquor licence.

Your right there were originally two S & E co-ops, one where horse and rider is now and one jusrt above the flower shop opposite the flats below the Ball Inn, this one had a full dairy behind it, with stables for the horses to draw the carts. the one where the cinema was came much later and was a B&C society store.

Edited by scargill