Crookes History

on the top end of glossop road No.485 was a chemist shop (1890's) called C. RADFORDS chemist shop. i am looking for a photograph of the shop front. i have tried sheffield pictures but no joy. if there is one in a private collection to have a look at it.

Are you only interested in an old photograph or an up-to-date one?

Although not useful for the 'living memory' questions, these are all the Sheffield directories you can find at http://www.historicaldirectories.org. Hugh

Thanks Hugh, I'm off to look at that right now. A big thank to everyone for all the help I'm getting. Can't mention everyone, but thank you.

Are you only interested in an old photograph or an up-to-date one?

i think the shop was listed in the directory between 1883-1888

Does any one know the history of Crookes House, just opposite the old Chemist, now the Indian Chef.

OK crookes I've collected my kellys.

What roads do you want scanning

I've just found this site. My mum was born in Crooks on Stothard near the top. Remember when visiting ,my grandmother in the 60's playing on the Bole Hills. Visiting Crooks when I was little was like going to another town, really enjoyed it.

Really surprised that no-one has mentioned Mr & Mrs Bly and their pork butchers shop. My mum used to work there on Saturdays when I was little (which would be 1969ish through the early 70's). It was in the shop that I think is now a pet supply shop (opposite the charity shop that used to be a petrol station) and next to the estate agents (which used to be a bank) on the opposite corner to Carracks wallpaper shop - which must have supplied wallpaper and/or paint to everyone household in Crookes at some point over the last couple of generations at least!

Really surprised that no-one has mentioned Mr & Mrs Bly and their pork butchers shop. My mum used to work there on Saturdays when I was little (which would be 1969ish through the early 70's). It was in the shop that I think is now a pet supply shop (opposite the charity shop that used to be a petrol station) and next to the estate agents (which used to be a bank) on the opposite corner to Carracks wallpaper shop - which must have supplied wallpaper and/or paint to everyone household in Crookes at some point over the last couple of generations at least!

Bly's had gone out of my mind but after your prompt, I do remember the shop.

I seem to recall two sons, the youngest of whom had black hair and think they lived on School Road, near Clementson? Sorry I don't recall their forenames but I didn't know them that well.

OK crookes I've collected my kellys.

What roads do you want scanning

Sorry Tooeg, I've been away. Algar Road, Ashgate Road, Bolehill Lane, Crookes, Fulwood Road, Glossop Road, Toftwood Road and Witham Road, please.

I have mentioned on this forum, the name of former King Edward GS pupil, Roy Jessop who used to go on the Bole Hills to play soccer and he masterminded the cycle speedway round the old cook-house.

Sadly, Oct 2 Star tells me that Roy, 61, formerly of Coombe Road at Crookes has suddenly passed away at his Leicestershire home. His funeral is to be held at Loughborough Crem. next Monday. Sorry to lose you Roy at a relatively early age.

http://www.oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/photos/65.6MS2A.html

A picture of Roy in his school days.

I have mentioned on this forum, the name of former King Edward GS pupil, Roy Jessop who used to go on the Bole Hills to play soccer and he masterminded the cycle speedway round the old cook-house.

Sadly, Oct 2 Star tells me that Roy, 61, formerly of Coombe Road at Crookes has suddenly passed away at his Leicestershire home. His funeral is to be held at Loughborough Crem. next Monday. Sorry to lose you Roy at a relatively early age.

http://www.oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/photos/65.6MS2A.html

A picture of Roy in his school days.

That is so sad. Roy was a lovely lad when we used to play football and cricket on the bolehills all those years ago and I have no doubt he continued that gentlemanly trend throughout his life. A sad and far too early loss.

Geoff

It's been very interesting sat with my father reading the posts about crookes. Our family has a long history within the area, especially on my grandmothers side, the Wragg's. Dorothy (Dolly) Wragg married Hubert Bell (my grandfather) in the early 30's. Hubert went into business with John Kenyon after Spooners butchers shop, where he had worked from being a lad, was passed on to them by George Spooner. The shop was then called Kenyon & Bell - Not just Kenyons. Whilst my grandfather was at war my grandmother, Dolly Bell ran the shop with Kenyon. My grandfather then bought Kenyon out in the 50's and the shop name changed to H.Bell until sometime in the 70's when the shop was sold on. My father, Terry, also had a butchers shop during the 80's, T. C. Bell, further down the road at 146 crookes, next to the chemist. Seems strange to me that our old shop has now been converted to a house. Reading some of the posts has brought back a lot of things that my grandparents and my father told me about the area over the years. I remember as a child seeing my grandmother reading one of the crookes 'history' books and chuntering away to herself in a corner.......i don't think she agreed with one or two pages!!! There's been a lot of talk on here of the Kandy Kabin - i spent many happy hours in there as a child in the early 80's stuffing my face with sweets given to me by beryl & derek!! Good Times.