Crookes History

The Candy Cabin, Also nearby was the once S&E Co-operative.

Opposite the co-op was a butchers shop that sold horse meat in the 40's, anyone remember the hot vimto from the drink shop just below the Ball, there was a cobblers shop on the corner of Mulehouse and the main road, that was the tram stop too, on the opposite side of M/House was a carpet shop.

The Candy Cabin, Also nearby was the once S&E Co-operative.

Opposite the co-op was a butchers shop that sold horse meat in the 40's, anyone remember the hot vimto from the drink shop just below the Ball, there was a cobblers shop on the corner of Mulehouse and the main road, that was the tram stop too, on the opposite side of M/House was a carpet shop.

I remember the Vimto shop, I think it was a temperance bar - sarsparilla etc.

Much has changed on that side of the road but it was about where there is a hairdresser's now. I vaguely remember the carpet shop but one I do recall was Ballins and also Wells's 'pricey' toy shop.

I remember Jenks.. Is he still with us? He seemed old when I was a kid but maybe he wasnt that old.

Royston H. Jenkinson, alias "Jenks" is indeed still going strong at 80. He has a little stall in the Castle Market selling stamps and postcards. It's in the gallery, opposite the café, and he has some nice reproductions of old Sheffield postcards.

[quote=CHAIRBOY;

I do recall was Ballins and also Wells's 'pricey' toy shop.

Wells's was the place for bikes and spares also, but very expensive as you say, we didn't shop there as my eldest brother worked for Langsett Cycles, but had to after he got called up for the forces.

I vaguely remember the carpet shop but one I do recall was Ballins ...

An old directory shows "Louis Ballin, draper" on the corner of Crookes and Sackville Road, but in the 1950s there was also an "H. Ballin" who had a draper's shop on Langsett Road, somewhere near Jack Lee's herbalist/sarsparilla shop - must have been a relative.

Wells's was the place for bikes and spares also, but very expensive as you say, we didn't shop there as my eldest brother worked for Langsett Cycles, but had to after he got called up for the forces.

I once had a Langsett cycle. There was a nearby alternative to Wells and that was Ernie Oldham who had a shop about where the Original Grindstone was just below Coombe Road.

Wells later moved to the bottom of Mulehouse where the (soon to move) private dentist is.

I once had a Langsett cycle. There was a nearby alternative to Wells and that was Ernie Oldham who had a shop about where the Original Grindstone was just below Coombe Road.

Wells later moved to the bottom of Mulehouse where the (soon to move) private dentist is.

You didn't have a "Wiggy's gas pipe" then? eeeeh, ah dunt know! ;)

The Candy Cabin was quite near to Dr.Flynn's surgery on Crookes and I recall was owned by a proprietor called Beech. I think Flynn had a reciprocal locum arrangement with Dr. Greenwood from the aforementioned practice at 203 School Road. Also nearby was the once S&E Co-operative.

Is that "Jenks" asking you to do his "scout" work?

i think you may have got the wrong "jenks"

:hihi::hihi::hihi: thats not my jenks

Hmmm.... He's known as "Jenks", lives at Crookes and was a scoutmaster. Is there another one? :confused:

i am married to andrew jenkison who lived in crookes but wasnt a scout master but know as jenks