Women are 'Plus-Sized' and Men are 'Fat'

Don't people normally use the term "plus size" when they're trying to sell something? Nobody's going to head for the "fat" section of the shop/website/catalogue, are they? Marketing will always put a positive spin on things. If it's more common in marketing aimed at women, then perhaps that's because that's what's more effective?

I'm sure being bigger is more acceptable for blokes though, so maybe that's why we get more sensitivity around language?

How many times have you heard someone being referred to as a "big, strapping lad", as in big=good?

It doesn't really work ths other way round does it?

Plenty of times you see healthy looking, size 10, 12 girls being called fat. It's nuts.

Edited by Olive

Good health is a very important characteristic.

Historically speaking being large was an important indication of personal success and health.

Sounds like we were separated at birth :o

#

As a person who looks androgynous, with not many curves and not particularly feminine, as I wear a load of black , I've had the odd remark or two in the past. It was worse when I was underweight. It's not nice, but then again, neither are the people who are giving it out. I believe in being nice to people, regardless of looks etc. That is until they give me a reason not to be.

---------- Post added 17-10-2017 at 13:58 ----------

No girl should ever describe herself as 'average'. She isn't! I'm not! :rolleyes:

Times are changing, take a look on a dating website.

any girl describing themselves as "average" means size 18

I actually preferred Ricky Wilson from 'Kaiser Chiefs', when he had a bit more meat on him.:)

Sounds like we were separated at birth :o

Who knows, lol.

When I was a young thing many years ago, I seem to remember that in working class society it was deemed acceptable/natural for women to put on weight with each pregnancy. Mothers were not expected to be very slim, but if they dressed themselves up, they were seen as still attractive, often as very attractive.

Mod Note

Misogynistic posts have been removed along with quotes

OK, here's one to discount the OP's theory.

Did you know that M&S suits made to fit the larger male frame are labelled "muscle fit" as opposed to "skinny" or "super skinny".

That's just a whole bunch of euphamisms for slim, medium and large. I don't know when skinny became a positive characteristicfor a bloke though!

Edited by Olive

The whole thread is based on the assumption that the opening post is true and factual.

It isn’t.

Here I am to admit that I couldn't find the actually headline I'd seen... or, it appears, thought I'd seen.

Attempting to find links it appears that the YouTube video I'd seen doesn't actually give references to actual sources, just a bunch of social media memes.

The only pages I could find where this topic was discussed were other forums like REDDIT. I was being truthful previously when I said I hadn't had the time to post links, but I came to do it today and the above was the case.

I hope my public apology will be accepted, and I've learned to be more robust with my info when posting in future.

Cheers everyone.

I came across a piece online recently where some plus-sized women claimed that they would never go out with an overweight man as they're not attractive. Yet, these women claim it's 'fatphobic' not to be attracted to larger ladies.

Is this female empowerment or is it just hypocrisy?

Also, why is it OK for men to be fat/overweight, but disrespectful to women?

I used to be fat, got called all the names under the sun, but i learned to live with it until i lost weight. The reason i did so was purely for health reasons. But, it's just a word that describes someone's size and, although it is often used in a derogatory way, many use it just simply to describe without their being any venom in the statement. So is it OK for women to be 'plus-sized' and men to be 'fat/overweight'?

To put quite simply, women want to help other women feel good so they opt to say things like plus sized, BBW, bubbly etc..

Men like to tear into each other and have a good old laugh at big bobs belly..

Also as someone else sensibly put - plus size is a term used for clothing just like XXL/XXXL is used for men.. The term fat isnt going to sell much clobber is it..

In regards to what you find attractive that is each to their own.. Me personally, i have had relations with fat / thin / bald / hairy - all of which i fancied the pants off...

To put quite simply, women want to help other women feel good so they opt to say things like plus sized, BBW, bubbly etc..

Men like to tear into each other and have a good old laugh at big bobs belly..

Also as someone else sensibly put - plus size is a term used for clothing just like XXL/XXXL is used for men.. The term fat isnt going to sell much clobber is it..

In regards to what you find attractive that is each to their own.. Me personally, i have had relations with fat / thin / bald / hairy - all of which i fancied the pants off...

When I started the thread it was never about what I found attractive, it was simply about the language we use.

As I've just posted, I must have imagined the headline and have apologised for starting it under false pretences.

When I started the thread it was never about what I found attractive, it was simply about the language we use.

As I've just posted, I must have imagined the headline and have apologised for starting it under false pretences.

It was someone else that mentioned attractiveness i think - was just saying i love em all :love: haha