Want to see some injustice in regards to council tax?

It's only 5 square miles so presumably the size of Sheffield makes things more expensive.

I should imagine that K&C have proportionally fewer people who need social services, viz. children, elderly and vulnerable adults. If you want to know where your money goes look here: Council Tax

That doesn't really give the true picture of where your council tax collected goes:

"One in every four pounds collected in council tax in the last year has gone to funding local government pensions in England.

Of the £22.4billion handed over by families in council tax in England in 2012-13, some £5.7billion went towards paying for council workers’ pensions.

More than half of all council tax revenue collected in Scotland went on local government pensions in 2011-12." source: Mail, Nov. 2013.

What the proportion currently is for Sheffield I don't know, perhaps there's someone on here who could tell us.

It's only 5 square miles so presumably the size of Sheffield makes things more expensive.

But there are more people in Sheffield to pay- so that doesn't make sense.

One thing looks clear to me- in Sheffield we seem to be getting fleeced compared to Kensington/Chelsea.

Rotherham people have the same opinion of their council about waste, last rant I heard was that a bridge build had been approved, the bridge isn’t needed or is not exactly a priority but the funds available are ringfenced for the build so it’s a bridge or nothing. Don’t know where the bridge will be built or if it’s all hearsay.

This is the problem though- I vote Labour, because I agree with them on a national level, and I like my local MP who is Labour.....but the council are also Labour, and are obviously awful.

It makes you feel really useless- like there is literally nothing you can do to make things better.

But your local MP is not on the Council so you could vote Labour in a General Election, then vote for a non Labour candidate in the local elections. If enough people did it then Labour would eventually be defeated in Sheffield.

But your local MP is not on the Council so you could vote Labour in a General Election, then vote for a non Labour candidate in the local elections. If enough people did it then Labour would eventually be defeated in Sheffield.

Probably the best solution. I'm not sure any council could do a WORSE job than the they are currently doing. I don't know one person who has ever had a positive thing to say about them- no matter who they vote for.

Either way though- the council tax will rise again next year, while very few of our wages will. Less money for us all, yet again.

That doesn't really give the true picture of where your council tax collected goes:

"One in every four pounds collected in council tax in the last year has gone to funding local government pensions in England.

Of the £22.4billion handed over by families in council tax in England in 2012-13, some £5.7billion went towards paying for council workers’ pensions.

More than half of all council tax revenue collected in Scotland went on local government pensions in 2011-12." source: Mail, Nov. 2013.

What the proportion currently is for Sheffield I don't know, perhaps there's someone on here who could tell us.

It's all in the document.

Why am I not surprised. .. With our loopy leftie useless council!

.....you also need to factor in the amount of housing in Sheffield that pays little or no council tax at all but still requires all the council services!

It's all in the document.

Whereabouts in the document is it max, have I missed it somewhere?

Those in the A band in Sheffield pay nearly double that of those in Kensington!

How the hell is this right?! Why do we pay so much more than those who can afford to live in areas stuffed with mansions?!

So would it make you feel happier if the residents of Kensington and Chelsea were suddenly made to pay more, to match what we pay or maybe even pay more?

---------- Post added 12-10-2017 at 23:09 ----------

Rotherham people have the same opinion of their council about waste, last rant I heard was that a bridge build had been approved, the bridge isn’t needed or is not exactly a priority but the funds available are ringfenced for the build so it’s a bridge or nothing. Don’t know where the bridge will be built or if it’s all hearsay.

Hopefully the bridge will be built right over the top of Rotherham so we never have to see it again.

But there are more people in Sheffield to pay- so that doesn't make sense.

One thing looks clear to me- in Sheffield we seem to be getting fleeced compared to Kensington/Chelsea.

It's because council tax is such a small part of the money a council has to spend. In Sheffield, it is only about 13% of the money the council needs, and that's just for day to day spending before you get on to capital expenditure.

Most council's income is from government grants or (increasingly) business rates. you can imagine how much Kensington & Chelsea gets in business rates per head of population compared to their expenditure.