Royal Hallamshire & the A floor cafe.

So once again money rears its ugly head. The cafe on A floor is being closed and premises least to Costa Coffee. The cafe an institution that's been run by volunteers for a long long time, profits along with other money raised by the other voluntary groups in the hospital ploughed back into the buying of hospital equipment. I for one will not be using it when Costa takes over and I hope many others who visit the hospital will be in the same frame of mind as I am. We know what a state the N.H.S. is in and money has to be found, but when it comes to taking away a service that the volunteers have provided for so long really hits below the belt. Are Costa going to plough back any profits into the buying of hospital equipment somehow I don't think so?

The cafe on A floor is being closed and premises least to Costa Coffee.

Good riddance I say! The current coffee shop is shabby and unreliable.

Costa Coffee are not short of a few quid and they'll be paying good money to the NHS to lease that space.

I must agree even though the café is run by volunteers, is it the Women’s Institute who do good work raising monies for the Hospitals in Sheffield and it’s a sorry state to seen these people who no dought want to be out in the community doing good to keep them active and not detreating stuck at home but do you think they may have been given a choice they surely cannot carry on forever and there does not seem to be a younger generation taking there place to carry on the tradition but alas whenever we went for a drink there the coffee was not to good and the tea not much better in polystyrene or paper cups ok Costa put theirs in paper cups but you do get options on the coffee and it's not just out of one urn or a large tin of Nescaffe the best option we found was to go too floor C and the staff canteen there that is a lot better but what will be next the charity shop closing the staff restaurant but out to McDonalds who knows, sorry to see the end of a tradition. :(

So once again money rears its ugly head. The cafe on A floor is being closed and premises least to Costa Coffee. The cafe an institution that's been run by volunteers for a long long time, profits along with other money raised by the other voluntary groups in the hospital ploughed back into the buying of hospital equipment. I for one will not be using it when Costa takes over and I hope many others who visit the hospital will be in the same frame of mind as I am. We know what a state the N.H.S. is in and money has to be found, but when it comes to taking away a service that the volunteers have provided for so long really hits below the belt. Are Costa going to plough back any profits into the buying of hospital equipment somehow I don't think so?

If the rent paid by Costa exceeds the profits given back to the hospital what's the problem?

I must agree even though the café is run by volunteers, is it the Women’s Institute who do good work raising monies for the Hospitals in Sheffield and it’s a sorry state to seen these people who no dought want to be out in the community doing good to keep them active and not detreating stuck at home but do you think they may have been given a choice they surely cannot carry on forever and there does not seem to be a younger generation taking there place to carry on the tradition but alas whenever we went for a drink there the coffee was not to good and the tea not much better in polystyrene or paper cups ok Costa put theirs in paper cups but you do get options on the coffee and it's not just out of one urn or a large tin of Nescaffe the best option we found was to go too floor C and the staff canteen there that is a lot better but what will be next the charity shop closing the staff restaurant but out to McDonalds who knows, sorry to see the end of a tradition. :(

It's not the Women's Institute.

It’s WRVS and the last time I went it was dreadful and overpriced.

The hospital will probably make more money from the rates from Costa than the current format with have provided for sometime. It is much needed change required and welcomed

It’s WRVS and the last time I went it was dreadful and overpriced.

Not Womens any more, its been the Royal Voluntary Service for some time.

Not Womens any more, its been the Royal Voluntary Service for some time.

We stand corrected. :)

It is the way UK hospitals have been going for some time. There are other hospitals in the south of England that have almost commercial shopping malls and healthy eating places in their entrances which are ultra modern and a little disturbing if you are used to a traditional set up. It's actually a bit like being in an airport.

However the reason for this is that it brings in millions which is used for patient care. It is a no brainer situation for the finance of the hospital.

the one at the northern general seems to be very good

However the reason for this is that it brings in millions which is used for patient care. It is a no brainer situation for the finance of the hospital.

Look no further than Harrogate District Hospital (conservative) which has a private ward called the [Harlow Suite] which allows NHS patients to pay for private rooms and restaurant-quality food. Again this generates good income for the hospital.