Grand Designs - Oughtibridge.

I'm not sure Don valley stadium could ever be called a fine building. Under used and wasted resource that should have done better - yes. Lovely bit of architecture - no.

Sheffield Empire Theatre, Gaumont Cinema, Don Valley Stadium ,The wedding cake and a cast of thousands.

Don Valley has been replaced with a building with cladding has it?

Or are you just trying to conflate entirely different things as if they were somehow related.

Can't say that I'm familiar with the rest of those buildings, I suspect if I look them up that they'll have been nothing special.

---------- Post added 01-11-2018 at 07:34 ----------

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/32-the-wedding-cake-registry-office/

Oh right, yes I remember that monstrosity.

Why would anyone think that it deserved special status?

And you know what it hasn't been replaced by, a building with colourful cladding.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3798283,-1.4690585,3a,60y,63.28h,111.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6kA7XcqrXV2rmqNKF0rmzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

---------- Post added 01-11-2018 at 07:36 ----------

Who trains these experts and then sends them out to inflict their weird designs on our City centres at the expense of the fine buildings they demolish to make way for them.

So, let's just reflect on this.

Firstly, you think that architects who design buildings go around also looking for development sites. :roll:

Secondly you pick out 1970's concrete blocks as "fine buildings".

And thirdly, of the two I've looked at, neither of them were replaced by buildings with cladding...

Don Valley has been replaced with a building with cladding has it?

Or are you just trying to conflate entirely different things as if they were somehow related.

Can't say that I'm familiar with the rest of those buildings, I suspect if I look them up that they'll have been nothing special.

---------- Post added 01-11-2018 at 07:34 ----------

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/32-the-wedding-cake-registry-office/

Oh right, yes I remember that monstrosity.

Why would anyone think that it deserved special status?

And you know what it hasn't been replaced by, a building with colourful cladding.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3798283,-1.4690585,3a,60y,63.28h,111.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6kA7XcqrXV2rmqNKF0rmzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

---------- Post added 01-11-2018 at 07:36 ----------

So, let's just reflect on this.

Firstly, you think that architects who design buildings go around also looking for development sites. :roll:

Secondly you pick out 1970's concrete blocks as "fine buildings".

And thirdly, of the two I've looked at, neither of them were replaced by buildings with cladding...

I can't hope to converse on these threads with some one whose intellectual powers are so obviously out of my league .

Rather than the weak ad hom, why not actually address the points made?

What is a ad hom.

Guest makapaka

To be fair they didn’t just put forward concrete blocks. Also not all concrete blocks are architecturally poor.

I would say there are examples of poor planning / architecture going on but also agree it’s not as widespread as some make out.