Car indicators too subtle these days?

Perhaps we should all lobby the car manufactures to bring back that little arm thing that use"d to pop out of the side of the car in the 50s.

Send an email to your MEP, its the EU that set our standards in regard to new cars.

See post 5

Great minds think alike.

It seems to me that a growing number of drivers have completely forgotten how to use the indicators anyway, especially at roundabouts.

It seems to me that a growing number of drivers have completely forgotten how to use the indicators anyway, especially at roundabouts.

Things started to go wrong when the highway code did away with all those hand signals.

e.g. stick your right arm out of the open window and flap it up and down to show you were slowing.

Does this show my age?

---------- Post added 09-10-2017 at 08:45 ----------

Perhaps we should all lobby the car manufactures to bring back that little arm thing that use"d to pop out of the side of the car in the 50s.

Send an email to your MEP, its the EU that set our standards in regard to new cars.

Another thing to change after Brexit:banana:

indicators are designed to show your intention to turn not to show what you are doing. i have to either drive or reverse out of my drive, both options having pros and cons, what is annoying is seeing a car coming up my road, no indicator on , my drive in on a junction, so I start to drive out only to find at the last minute the car indicating while turning across my intended path.

I followed a new hybrid thingy the other day, it had a skirt almost to floor level and the indicators ran vertically as low as they could. If you were a short person driving behind them i'm sure they would be obscured by your own dashboard.

The Audi ones are shocking - they look like a cheap Knight Rider effect.

Either I'm going to show myself up as someone who is losing his faculties, or car indicators are getting harder to see. It seems that their function is coming second to the overall aesthetics of the car. Is it just me?

No, not just you. They are treated as minor thing when they should be a major thing as they used to be.

I would hardly call the indicators on my car subtle. The rear indicators on my focus are huge, and if those are somehow missed, there are also indicators on the side mirrors, as well as those up front.

I find indicators on Audis, BMWs and certain types of Mercs to be utterly invisible.

I would hardly call the indicators on my car subtle. The rear indicators on my focus are huge, and if those are somehow missed, there are also indicators on the side mirrors, as well as those up front.

There was a time, and they are still on the road, when all indicator bulbs were 21w, LEDs have changed all that.

But if you have an old style car, no matter how large your indicator lens is, it will be 21w.

---------- Post added 09-10-2017 at 10:47 ----------

Red will always be easier to see than other colours.

Quite a few new cars that I have seen have it where their front fog light turns on instead of their indicator!

Who the hell came up with that idea? :loopy: