Sheffield Gyms of the past?

Donna Hartley's in Tiger Works, West Street in the 80s/90s.

Yes - he worked there under Jack Charlton.

Thank you, and was Tony part of when the Owl's player's had to spend overnight in the hills above Stocksbridge ?

I can go back as far as 1948. I left school in that year and fancied my chances a playing rugby. However, although quick, I was only about 8 stone. To gain weight I decided weightlifting was the thing. The first gym I trained at was the 'Sheffield All-Rounders', at the bottom of Broughton Lane. The gym was an old workshop, ground and upper floor, and looking back, in as parlous state. It was owned by Henry Holmes, the racing cyclist. But at the safest end of the upper floor they trained on the 'Three Olympics', Press, Snatch, and Clean and Jerk. But I digress.

I suspect, that a gym, 'Rex Grays' had been established up around Staniforth Road, for quite sometime.

Another good gym was in a big church hall on Nursery Street.

The famous 'Raven' on West Street was another.

All the gyms were in church halls or at the back of 'boozers' in those days.

No machines, just free weight.

Hi I went to Marti Caines Sherbert in the eighties, one was on the Moor and one on West Street, the Moor one was ladies only, think the West Street one was unisex ? can't really remember

The one on West was most certainly available for men and women as I used to go there in the mid eighties. I also used to use The Fringe which was above The Surrey opposite central library.

There was also the gym at the YMCA just off Eccy Road which I used for a while in the late eighties.

Thank you for more interesting stories I enjoy reading them..

What happened to the YMCA Gyms are they gone in sheffield?

Hi I went to Marti Caines Sherbert in the eighties, one was on the Moor and one on West Street, the Moor one was ladies only, think the West Street one was unisex ? can't really remember

I used to go to Sherbet. Can't remember the name of the one on West Street but that was definitely unisex

Thank you, and was Tony part of when the Owl's player's had to spend overnight in the hills above Stocksbridge ?

Tony Toms was not a player I believe he was the physio for the team and I think he was a bodyguard to some celebs...Please quote me if I'm wrong

Tony Toms was not a player I believe he was the physio for the team and I think he was a bodyguard to some celebs...Please quote me if I'm wrong

Tony Toms was the 'physio', I know he wasn't a player and I may have mis-worded somewhere along the line but was he there when the players spent the 'night on the moors' ?

Body Talk - on West Street. I think it was the Tiger Works building.

Turned into a brothel after that.

Fortunately, by then, I had developed into an Adonis like figure and had no need for such places.

I used to go to Sherbet. Can't remember the name of the one on West Street but that was definitely unisex

I have great memories of using Sherbet on the Moor. Me and my friend joined when it first opened and Marti Caine used to be around occasionally to run classes. One time we were late for Aerobics and missed the warm up so she wouldn't let us do the class.

Another time Sunday Morning Body Conditioning the two girls from the Human League were there and they were right at the front with Marti watching themselves in the mirror wearing full face make up.

It was a trendy place when it first opened with classes like Jazz Dance and Aerobics, Body Conditioning. It had sunbeds and a juice bar. Great memories. Marti was a great lady.

An old pal and workmate of mine used a gym on Carver Street in the 60s,it was called Peter Graham Studios!.Due to our nightly routine of frequenting the local hostelries we were accumulating unwanted porky additions to our body frames so the idea was to train it off!.Unfortunately it had the adverse effect we started to get bulkier so that got kicked into touch after a while!.We had the place to ourselves as we finished work at lunchtime,we had a set program each so no shirking occurred as we made sure we both stuck to it,I think we lasted six months or so but like I said it did not have the result we wanted a shame really oh well!.

I remembered a gym established on the corner of Bank St and Snigg Hill very early 60's. It was probably the first gym I'd seen that had carpet on the floor and chromed equipment. I think it was called the 'Universal Health Studio' and it had a high pressure sales team that almost stuck their hand in your pocket to get your money.