NCP Car park Furnival Gate

An interesting rip off at this car park yesterday when I popped into town. I intended being there less than 1 hour and was - only 51 minutes. The ticket machine noted the charge as £2.20 for up to one hour. I paid via MasterCard and noted on the receipt the charge of £3.70. I stopped at the gate and rang customer services about the extra £1.50 charge, only to be told that they had applied a Saturday "all day rate" as this is what happens on a Saturday. So, £1.50 more for less than 1 hour on their weekly charge. Pretty disgraceful I think.

Their car parks are unique..... the Arundel Gate one where you drive down a slope to get in. Often on Hallam University open days a guy with a placard saying Uni parking is pointing down there. Only a bottom of slope at barriers do you get to see their rates which is impossible to turn around.

Again on car park behind Argos on Angel St - you drive up the slope to get to see the fees and if someone gets behind you then you are screwed. Thats how they make their money. Always full because of contract heavily discounted parking and makes it profits from the gullible public.

This car park is a nightmare

This car park is a nightmare

I agree! I've used this carpark once and will never use it again!

NCP - say no more.

Absolute rip-off merchants. I was fleeced by them in another city and have never used their car parks since. There are plenty of other places in town to choose from which have more reasonable charges.

I went to a show at the Lyceum a few years ago and was charged £12 for 3 hours in this car park. Never again. Its a pity because its's ideally placed.

Their car parks are unique..... the Arundel Gate one where you drive down a slope to get in. Often on Hallam University open days a guy with a placard saying Uni parking is pointing down there. Only a bottom of slope at barriers do you get to see their rates which is impossible to turn around.

Again on car park behind Argos on Angel St - you drive up the slope to get to see the fees and if someone gets behind you then you are screwed. Thats how they make their money. Always full because of contract heavily discounted parking and makes it profits from the gullible public.

It is a rip off I agree, but you can take the ticket and drive straight around the exit barrier and leave without paying. All car parks have a short grace period for this exact scenario. Doesn't stop them being rip off merchants mind you. I'm highly surprised they are allowed to advertise things like 'snooker parking' and 'uni parking' either.

I went to a show at the Lyceum a few years ago and was charged £12 for 3 hours in this car park. Never again. Its a pity because its's ideally placed.

Do you not consider the connection between it being "ideally placed" and their high charges?

Its a business. Its there to make money. Prime space in the centre of town costs money to lease and car parks costs money to run.

Nobody is forced to park in there.

A little research beforehand will show the best and worst prices in the location someone wants. I would reccommend this site https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/sheffield/?arriving=201710091530&leaving=201710091730

A bit of planning beforehand about where to park and how much it wil cost is all that's needed.

Why are people on this tread talking like NCP owes them something. People need to vote with their feet and as soon as it hits their profits they will some take action.

Until such time as people stop blindly driving in and paying the fees, what incentive would any business have to compete.

---------- Post added 09-10-2017 at 15:16 ----------

I'm highly surprised they are allowed to advertise things like 'snooker parking' and 'uni parking' either.

Dont see why not.

Its only the same as someone with a giant arrow saying "Football Parking" "Golf Sale" or "Chinese Buffet" or "Pizza Parlour" They are not saying their are the only one in the area. Nor are they saying they are the official one in the area. Its just target advertising.

Smart business when there are large events and high traffic flows.

Do you not consider the connection between it being "ideally placed" and their high charges?

Its a business. Its there to make money. Prime space in the centre of town costs money to lease and car parks costs money to run.

A little research beforehand will show the best and worst prices in the location someone wants. I would reccommend this site https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/sheffield/?arriving=201710091530&leaving=201710091730

A bit of planning beforehand about where to park and how much it wil cost is all that's needed.

Why are people on this tread talking like NCP owes them something. People need to vote with their feet and as soon as it hits their profits they will some take action.

Until such time as people stop blindly driving in and paying the fees, what incentive would any business have to compete.

---------- Post added 09-10-2017 at 16:29 ----------

EccoNoob. I was just stating what happened to me. I'm quite aware of the reasons but thought it so obvious that it wasn't necessary to explain. You obviously didn't agree hence your sanctimonious condescending reply.

Edited by cytine

A little hard to drive straight through when you have seen the tariffs, assume that because there less than 1 hour will only pay £2.20 - and only find out 53 mins later that its £3.70. Big Tweet campaign I'm planning tomorrow unless they reply to my complaint - which to be fair, Ive only just sent a few minutes ago.