Settling an argument! Winstons.

What did Winstons sell ?

I used to get my shirts there,with a cutaway collar, that was in the days when we always went out in the evenings in a 3 piece suit with a hankie showing in the top pocket.It was a time when smartness was the norm and if I got a hole in the knee of my jeans they went in the bin.Nowadays I would wear them to go out on a Saturday night.How times change.

What did Winstons sell ?

Men's reasonably priced clothing and accessories but it wasn't Barney Goodman's.

I used to get my shirts there,with a cutaway collar, that was in the days when we always went out in the evenings in a 3 piece suit with a hankie showing in the top pocket.It was a time when smartness was the norm and if I got a hole in the knee of my jeans they went in the bin.Nowadays I would wear them to go out on a Saturday night.How times change.

I love to see a waistcoat with a suit. You only see them on snooker players now.

Slightly off topic, but there was a similar sort of shop that came to mind when I read this thread. It was on Attercliffe Road, just before Banner's, I've been trying to think of the name for the last two days.

Slightly off topic, but there was a similar sort of shop that came to mind when I read this thread. It was on Attercliffe Road, just before Banner's, I've been trying to think of the name for the last two days.

Ernest Burgess by the side of Banners,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13155&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24884&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s24885&prevUrl=

Blanchards was on Langsett Rpad

Edited by mickyboy

Yes thank you and Burgess' didn't sell crap clothes. It was perhaps one of the better men's (and teens) outfitter's that wasn't in the town centre.

That's the one, many thanks. As has been stated, good quality, stylish clothes.

Blanchard's were on Infirmary Road /Bedford Street.

Men's reasonably priced clothing and accessories but it wasn't Barney Goodman's.

I used to shop at Winstons on Spital Hill. He sold good gear a bit cheaper than town. I recall him being a friendly sort of chap.