Monarch Airlines goes into Administration

They looked like going under last year but were saved at the last minute. What I can't understand is why are the CAA chartering aircraft, surely it would be cheaper for the CAA to use the Monarch planes and pay the staff rather than charter aircraft.

The companies have gone into administration with no guarantee that creditors will be paid.

Legally airports can impound any aircraft owned by the companies to pay debts and are not likely to let them fly anywhere until paid.

If not owned by Monarch they will be on lease in some way and may be available to the agents that CAA employ. The costs are irrelevant.

The companies have gone into administration with no guarantee that creditors will be paid.

Legally airports can impound any aircraft owned by the companies to pay debts and are not likely to let them fly anywhere until paid.

If not owned by Monarch they will be on lease in some way and may be available to the agents that CAA employ. The costs are irrelevant.

Yes but if the CAA pay to use those planes the money could go towards paying the creditors off rather than paying a third party to provide aircraft and crew.

Edited by iansheff

Haven't the CAA revoked their licence though?

Preventing Monarch from flying passengers anywhere.

up for discussion, obviously you do not realise the full extend of this, eventually you will understand.

Then open the discussion with your thoughts and opinions.

.. as you are expected to do according to the forum rules.

I am perfectly aware of the extent of the collapse and have been seeing it coming for a while.

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 13:12 ----------

But you are meant to make a comment to support your copy and paste - i.e an opinion etc.

(its in the rules)

Which is probably what was meant by other posters.

But if a Mod does exactly the same (Las Vegas shooting), why should we bother?

Yes but if the CAA pay to use those planes the money could go towards paying the creditors off rather than paying a third party to provide aircraft and crew.

The principle is correct but not practical. There are special international legal rules that apply to ships and aircraft at (air)ports which are held when debts cannot be paid. They can be seized as full payment for handling, victualing, fuelling etc. before the liquidator/administrator of that country are involved.

If leased then they will be quickly returned to service wherever in the world they will make most profit. It may or may not for the agents of the CAA.

If a Monarch company owns a plane then it is worth millions and are an asset that airports, which are owed millions would sell. The airports are not likely to let these assets go until they get all their cash.

On the other hand aircraft in particularly cannot be left standing around for long without quickly becoming unflightworthy so the best planes are sold quickly and cheaply. Other creditors will be left with very little and some planes will never fly in Europe or even anywhere again.

A huge waste of money.

Real shame this. I have flown with Monarch lots of times and thought they were the best of the budget airlines.

Me too..........

I am a victim of this, holiday to Turkey in August 2018, booked through On The Beach so covered but looks like the whole holiday will be cancelled unless they can source replacement flights. Could be worse I suppose, not stranded anywhere and we have plenty of time to sort it.

We are going November with expensive airline, don't mind paying that bit extra now.

Also got a cheap Ryanair ticket for weekend December, did that for a laugh but looks like that route is not affected by their cancelations.

On the other hand aircraft in particularly cannot be left standing around for long without quickly becoming unflightworthy so the best planes are sold quickly and cheaply. Other creditors will be left with very little and some planes will never fly in Europe or even anywhere again.

A huge waste of money.

It looks like they were due to start replacing their fleet next year, so chances are most of the planes are getting quite old now.

It looks like they were due to start replacing their fleet next year, so chances are most of the planes are getting quite old now.

See I noticed this too and it just doesn't make sense, yes they're fleet wasn't brand new but the A321's weren't ridiculously old and they were being replaced by the new 737max which are slightly bigger but not much in it.

Doesn't make sense to replace all your fleet when you have no money.

Doesn't make sense to replace all your fleet when you have no money.

As I understand it, many of their planes were leased.

They looked like going under last year but were saved at the last minute. What I can't understand is why are the CAA chartering aircraft, surely it would be cheaper for the CAA to use the Monarch planes and pay the staff rather than charter aircraft.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Just use the Monarch planes that are now dormant and even the Monarch staff. Would give some additional wages and time to the now unemployed staff as well.