Its all kicking off in Catalonia

Quoted by Sam Martin.

I would expect our own Government to behave the same as the Spanish Government, if ever Scotland went down the illegal referendum route.

Quick get the troops onto Hadrian's Wall , just in case.

Edited by hagrid

Mr Puggie, I agree that is one option which the Spanish government could have gone with. If the Spanish Government allowed the illegal referendum to take place unchallenged, then it might be judged by some to* legitimise it.* The Spanish Police are correct to use force to crackdown against lawbreakers and anarchists. I would expect our own Government to behave the same as the Spanish Government, if ever Scotland went down the illegal referendum route.

Have you watched the footage that has been posted above? You would like the government to crack down the same way as that? You are disgusting.

Mr Puggie, I agree that is one option which the Spanish government could have gone with. If the Spanish Government allowed the illegal referendum to take place unchallenged, then it might be judged by some to* legitimise it.* The Spanish Police are correct to use force to crackdown against lawbreakers and anarchists. I would expect our own Government to behave the same as the Spanish Government, if ever Scotland went down the illegal referendum route.

I'm pretty sure if Scotland held a faux referendum Theresa May wouldn't send the troops up North to inflict violence on Edinburgh. We've come a long way since the 17th century.

Lol. Really? I mean really??!!

In your world further European integration will make people's, particularly the Catalonian people's, traditional local identity go away??

Pretty naive really, isn't it? Look at the make up of Europe over the last 100 years, it is constantly changing and evolving. One day this bit of land belongs to X, the next it belongs to Z. It is all nonsense, at the core of it all is the shared value of the Europeans. That should be central.

Ask the 'leave' Catalunyans if they want to leave the EU? No, they don't. Ask the same of the 'leave UK' Scots and they too will say they don't.

Until you actually understand what drives these people, how are you in a place to judge? Because that is what you, Puggie and whoever else are doing regarding my statement. Your dislike does not automatically transfer to others because you have the absolute truth and power to do so.

You don't.

The sooner the EU integrates the better, when it does than states can divide into sensible regions rather then remain hung up on traditional but impractical national constructions.

Integration by the whip, not a very good way to go.

Integration by the whip, not a very good way to go.

Hitler tried that approach.. didn't quite work out for him.

From what I've heard one of the reasons the Catalonians want independence is because they think their comparative wealth is being used to prop up the rest of the country, so a bit like London and the South East wanting independence from the North of England.

As for the vote, I agree with Puggie and Alan Hartley, the government should have allowed the vote. They wouldn't have to abide by it if it's illegal but would have been a useful indicator of the strength of feeling. Sending in the paramilitary is perhaps the worse thing they could have done, and will only have hardened opinions.

Seems the Spanish govt still hasnt changed much since the days of Franco..

This is an attack on democracy .. and only speeding up the inevitable Catalan Independence ..

Be nice if there was a Northern referendum on independence from London.. one day ..

Edited by WestTinsley

Totally wrong. All the Spanish government had to do was let the vote take place and then just declare it null and void.

If the people of Catalonia vote for independence and the Spanish government disallow the result then to all intents and purposes Catalonia is then annexed by Spain, i.e. militarily occupied by Spain.

From what I've heard one of the reasons the Catalonians want independence is because they think their comparative wealth is being used to prop up the rest of the country, so a bit like London and the South East wanting independence from the North of England.

As for the vote, I agree with Puggie and Alan Hartley, the government should have allowed the vote. They wouldn't have to abide by it if it's illegal but would have been a useful indicator of the strength of feeling. Sending in the paramilitary is perhaps the worse thing they could have done, and will only have hardened opinions.

But is it any more illegal than the military conquest of Catalonia in the first place?

Maybe it's a bit like somone breaks in to your home, overpowers you and your family, takes your keys, and after years of you living as their subject you decide you want a vote with your family on your freedom. But they say 'no', that's illegal!

Doesn't that mean if Catalonia gain independence then they must also be out of the EU? They will have to reapply for membership to the EU as they will cease to be a member of the EU by gaining independence.

I wonder if the young voters who want independence have thought about that!