Has anyone here met Jarvis Cocker of Pulp or know him?

A couple of yrs ago I was out downtown got talking to this quirky guy. Just chatted about normal stuff I remember he said he d just got back from somewhere abroad and I said lucky for some! I was enjoying the chat but my friends wanted to move on a month or so later I saw a pic of him my news feed with a friend of mine on fb I had to laugh cos I honestly think I asked what he did for a living!? I wouldn’t mind but he was a star of my time I had no clue I just chewed his ear off for bout 45 mins was normal enough with me x

What's this "great unwashed" all about? Lol

Edited by Friedshrooms

What's this "great unwashed" all about? Lol.

The great unwashed is like a 'figaro speech' as they call them. It refers to the lowly people of our society such as the ones what travel on buses and bikes. They tend to have quite dirty clothes because of their chosen moder transport. I suppose the Jarvis singed about these sorts of people in his songs such as Joyriders (about some oiks doing a TWOC) and Bar Italia (about some lower class drug addicts after a night out).

Edited by ohmyword
Fixing quote up

Ooooohhh lol. Now I know lol. Thanks

Kept seeing it referenced in other places, too. lol

I met Jarvis twice, once way before they were famous at Sheffield Uni. I thought he was a nice guy.

Years later i met him on Chapel walk, I shouted 'Jarvis' he said 'Alright' and stopped for a chat.

Jarvis is everything Sheffield should be proud of. Alright.

I met Jarvis twice, once way before they were famous at Sheffield Uni. I thought he was a nice guy.

Years later i met him on Chapel walk, I shouted 'Jarvis' he said 'Alright' and stopped for a chat.

Jarvis is everything Sheffield should be proud of. Alright.

Awww :) Jarvis is so cool.

Sheffield Uni. You mean the Polytechnic school or whatever it was called? Or St. Martin's?

Assuming he recognized you?

The great unwashed is like a 'figaro speech' as they call them. It refers to the lowly people of our society such as the ones what travel on buses and bikes. They tend to have quite dirty clothes because of their chosen moder transport. I suppose the Jarvis singed about these sorts of people in his songs such as Joyriders (about some oiks doing a TWOC) and Bar Italia (about some lower class drug addicts after a night out).

Lol. I think you mean 'figure of speech'.

Lol !! @yoda

---------- Post added 04-10-2017 at 00:55 ----------

What's this "great unwashed" all about? Lol

---------- Post added 04-10-2017 at 01:01 ----------

Anyone know what's up with Jarvis being incessantly seen all over public transport ? Noticed huge abundance mentioned on a pulp group then someone pointed out just search twitter and facebook for Jarvis and the tube..trams etc and hundreds of reports of it pop up. Lol

I know he likes trains but yikes lol. Instagram and such you always see loads of people just randomly posting about running into him everywhere. It's absolutely funny yet odd tho I'm not from the UK so I know nothing. Lol

He get endorsement or something to be seen so much in public transport or he just really isn't bothered?

He did voice over for Sheffield trams for some period.

I remember this well. Always made me chuckle. Was quite amusing looking around and seeing very confused people who didn't recognise his voice and wondered why on earth they'd changed it.

I've met him a couple of times in groups and at the football. Nice guy, didn't want to stand out; he was quite happy in a group talking rather than being loud and "famous."

Bump

Bumping for anyone who might've not seen this yet. Or if any new cool stories since this thread.

Also, looks like Jarvis is working on new material. New solo or future Pulp thing?

Edited by Friedshrooms

I slept two beds away from him at Max Richter's overnight 'Sleep' concert in London last year.

He was very friendly and I felt kind of sorry for him because he clearly wanted to enjoy the concert in peace but wasn't willing to tell people to leave him alone.

He sat next to my husband's cousin in geography at City school, and my husband's uncle drummed with one of his school bands and even had a tape recording of them. Nice bloke by all accounts.

Adapted Peter Kay line: Mr. Sheffield himself ........ all the way from London.

Says it all.

Common People ...... he's a luvvie, exploited an opportunity and made money out of it.

All of which removed him from the common people.

Saw him doing his recycling in Waitrose a couple of years ago.