Do you ever get fed up of cooking the same meals over and over again?

I like to cook - and I particularly enjoy inviting friends/family over and cooking for them. I like to be a bit experimental, but my problem is that all my friends and family always insist that I must cook them either one of my curries, or one of my traditional English roast dinners, with the Yorkshire pud, the roast 'taters...and all the trimmings

Of course, it's flattering that they enjoy my curries and roast dinners so much, but I get a bit bored of cooking the same stuff over and over

again

cook one of your curries/roast dins (you've got to keep your audience happy), but try doing a starter and/or dessert to your own liking. If the starter is a hit you cold maybe turn it into a main next time or just tell em next time your doing whatever an tell em to bring some wine to suit.

Thanks for that idea Rimrunner. It's a good 'un .. and an ideal compromise. I can cook my guests what I know they'll enjoy for the main course, and yet also flex my experimental culinary muscles on the starters and desserts. I'll definitely give your suggestion a try!

I reckon you could get away with launching a new menu wholesale. You sound like you're a good cook. If you serve up something new and tasty, they'll love it and be asking for it again next time. They're only asking for curry or a roast because that's what they know you can do.

Go on, stretch your wings!

I like to cook - and I particularly enjoy inviting friends/family over and cooking for them. I like to be a bit experimental, but my problem is that all my friends and family always insist that I must cook them either one of my curries, or one of my traditional English roast dinners, with the Yorkshire pud, the roast 'taters...and all the trimmings

Of course, it's flattering that they enjoy my curries and roast dinners so much, but I get a bit bored of cooking the same stuff over and over

again

I'm quite taken aback by what you've written actually because I'd be mortally offended if I invited someone for a meal at our house and they "insisted" on what I should be cooking! What kind of a person does that? If you're an invited guest to someone's home you don't start dictating what you want to eat for heaven's sake! You stay out of the kitchen altogether and let them get on with it.

If you're asked what you would like to eat, that's different. But it sounds to me like the problem is not with your cooking, but with the limited outlook of those that you are catering for.

They wouldn't get a choice if it was me I can tell you that.

I'd always try and put something out that they would like - and if in doubt - and I've been in this situation a few times - especially for large do's - I'd do a selection of things - a sort of hot buffet - with maybe a casserole, a chilli or curry - a carvery joint - salads - and maybe some veggie stuff. But no, I definitely wouldn't be influenced one iota by what a "guest" wanted me to cook for them.

(Oh and, my chilli con carne is spicy hot btw. As chilli con carne should be. Made with fresh chillies of different types, including the Scotch bonnet ones. If people don't like chilli spicy hot, they don't like chilli. Because chilli is hot - that's how it is meant to be. I don't do bland chilli - I'm happy to make a spag bog for those who think they like chilli but don't).

Edited by DerbyTup