Dog walking in packs

So, basically, these packwalkers walking 6 or more dogs, may not be complying with their insurance conditions.

Where does this leave the person, who is not one of their customers, whose dog gets damaged when a few of the pack dogs are not on a lead and kick off? Presumably they can claim on their own insurance. But can they claim against the dog walker?

Seems to me the packwalkers are in it for greed, and they couldn't care less about their customers' dogs, other people's dogs, other people's anxieties and rights to the same space, or their insurance companies. It's funny to see how some of them present themselves on their web-sites as champion dog whisperers and dogs' best friends.

A long time ago my friend had an insurance claim rejected as her dog was poorly in kennels. The claim was rejected as she was not actually caring for her dog at that time, but a paid professional.

Now I know all insurance companies have their own tiny small print but it does make you weary.

A long time ago my friend had an insurance claim rejected as her dog was poorly in kennels. The claim was rejected as she was not actually caring for her dog at that time, but a paid professional.

Now I know all insurance companies have their own tiny small print but it does make you weary.

My dogs are insured no matter who is caring for them , its them thats insured not myself .

My dogs are insured no matter who is caring for them , its them thats insured not myself .

This is not always the case when you are paying a professional!

It's the professionals insurance that covers the client, dog etc.

This is not always the case when you are paying a professional!

It's the professionals insurance that covers the client, dog etc.

I checked this with my insurer that if anything happens my insurance will cover . The dog walking insurance is for public liability for example if my dog were o break his lead while crossing a road etc .

Thanks, Kensmith and JustPoppedIn.

As always with insurance, it seems like it all comes down to the small print.

Good to know there are some people on here who have good dog walkers. End of the day, what matters is that everybody's dog gets looked after properly.

dont the bylaws of Sheffield say you cannot have a dog off lead?

No, not at all.

There may be some roads and areas in which dogs have to be on a lead, in which case there should be signs. Some local authorities are considering enacting bylaws stipulating that dogs are kept on lead - link.

Shaun Bell animal control officer says if there is a notice , it must be observed.

Surely if they are talking that you cant have your dogs off lead , then you would be causing dogs not to be able to exercise , which goes against the dogs best care especially if you have a high energy dog. If this is the case then the council should invest in dog parks.

There may be some roads and areas in which dogs have to be on a lead, in which case there should be signs. Some local authorities are considering enacting bylaws stipulating that dogs are kept on lead - link.

Dogs must be on lead on ALL roads, it's in the road traffic act.

Dogs must be on lead on ALL roads, it's in the road traffic act.

I was actually discussing parks and being off lead . I would never walk my dog off lead next to any road . Yes it is an offence . However dogs need places to run and exercise considering most of us live in built up areas .

vwkittie - the last time I checked, and discussed the matter with a dog warden I was surprised to learn that it is not an offence to walk a dog on a road without a lead but you must be in control of it. However, if there is a sign on the road (usually sited on a lampost) stipulating that dogs must be on a lead then yes, it is an offence not to obey. The local authority should know of all the roads in their area that are covered by this bylaw.

If you could provide a link to the appropriate road traffic legislation it would be very helpful.

Edited by ccit

vwkittie - the last time I checked, and discussed the matter with a dog warden I was surprised to learn that it is not an offence to walk a dog on a road without a lead but you must be in control of it. However, if there is a sign on the road (usually sited on a lampost) stipulating that dogs must be on a lead then yes, it is an offence not to obey. The local authority should know of all the roads in their area that are covered by this bylaw.

If you could provide a link to the appropriate road traffic legislation it would be very helpful.

C&P

As a general rule of thumb, "not kept under proper control" means that the dog was neither on a lead nor muzzled.

It follows, therefore, that a dog does not actually have to injure someone to be dangerously out of control; it is enough that someone is in fear that it might.

https://www.eandl.co.uk/help-and-information/tips-and-advice/dog/uk-dog-law

My dog is as daft as a brush but, i do know that some people are frightened of it, it is a labrador.

maybe it would help if you had read the above.