Dog walking in packs

Well said Kensmith!

could you give us your opinion on Kensmith post gnomi, ie what was well said?

Kidley what I am saying is that people take this dog fear thing to a new level , dogs have always been around , people make them out to be enemies of the people , which they arent. DNot all dogs are out of control , not all dogs are aggressive , If you portray a dog as these then you are giving unfair prestige to that animal . My dog is part of a small group of 4 with a professional dog walker , hes happy exercised , I would be less happy in a larger group admittedly , I did meet a dog walker i Bingham park with 16 dogs , that's what I find unacceptable . Also your dog walker who only walks a small number of dogs isnt making mega bucks , just a basic living, some one walking 16 dogs and charging 10 per hour is making mega bucks and clearly does not care about responsible practice or even give a hoot about safety , as they are monitory minded.

I saw a chap out walking about 10-15 greyhounds the other day!

I did wonder what would happen if a squirrel ran out in front of him :confused:

I use a dog walker but he only walks a few dogs at a time and I don't allow him to let ours off lead. She's a lurcher and while I'm happy to let her off lead as I know her and understand her instincts, I'd never trust anyone else to let her off. Personal preference on my part though.

Personally I wouldn't want to be holding any more than two sighthounds at a time!

Edited by vwkittie

I use a dog walker but he only walks a few dogs at a time and I don't allow him to let ours off lead. She's a lurcher and while I'm happy to let her off lead as I know her and understand her instincts, I'd never trust anyone else to let her off. Personal preference on my part though.

Personally I wouldn't want to be holding any more than two sighthounds at a time!

No way can that be safe, its crazy and an accident waiting to happen, that person should be warned then banned if they continue to do that in my opinion.

I think that a group of 4 is enough if medium sized, maybe 5 depending on age size and type, no more, its just not safe...no way would I allow anyone to walk my dogs like that, I love them to much and want them back alive and un hurt!

No way can that be safe, its crazy and an accident waiting to happen, that person should be warned then banned if they continue to do that in my opinion.

I think that a group of 4 is enough if medium sized, maybe 5 depending on age size and type, no more, its just not safe...no way would I allow anyone to walk my dogs like that, I love them to much and want them back alive and un hurt!

I have one group of five from the same family , 2 border collies and 3 spaniels all are walked off lead have good recall but not in crowded areas , never had an incident with them. However I normally walk in groups of 4 when I am alone .

Are you absolutely sure that he only has a small group ? i meet professional dog walkers all over , I do walk in good weather and this summer i have noticed large groups of dogs at Wyming brook in particular, also at Longshaw . My dog walker walks locally, she is seen in the park with her small groups by other dog owner friends of mine. Many dog walkers say the insist on small groups but then you see them loading dogs into vans , more than said number. Many of these professional walkers I actually enquired with before choosing my present dog walker .

I did meet a dog walker i Bingham park with 16 dogs , that's what I find unacceptable .

It's that sort of thing that caused me to open this thread. There were two dog walkers up our way recently walking with a combined total of around 15 dogs, only 3 of them on a lead.

That concerns me.

It also means neighbours walking their own pets say they are having to avoid walking at the same time and place as the people running packs of dogs for money.

If you walk 8 dogs a day, six days a week, ten pound an hour, just one x one-hour walk per day per dog, you make around 23 grand gross.

It's really helpful to read the links and posts, thanks to all.

It's a complicated subject with a lot of local history, legal angles, and strong feelings.

It's that sort of thing that caused me to open this thread. There were two dog walkers up our way recently walking with a combined total of around 15 dogs, only 3 of them on a lead.

That concerns me.

It also means neighbours walking their own pets say they are having to avoid walking at the same time and place as the people running packs of dogs for money.

If you walk 8 dogs a day, six days a week, ten pound an hour, just one x one-hour walk per day per dog, you make around 23 grand gross.

It's really helpful to read the links and posts, thanks to all.

It's a complicated subject with a lot of local history, legal angles, and strong feelings.

My dog walker doesn't make 23 grand gross or anywhere near that.

Are you absolutely sure that he only has a small group ? i meet professional dog walkers all over , I do walk in good weather and this summer i have noticed large groups of dogs at Wyming brook in particular, also at Longshaw . My dog walker walks locally, she is seen in the park with her small groups by other dog owner friends of mine. Many dog walkers say the insist on small groups but then you see them loading dogs into vans , more than said number. Many of these professional walkers I actually enquired with before choosing my present dog walker .

Yes I am super sure, he's really good :)

Yes I am super sure, he's really good :)

Good , to hear this . I found a lovely lady who does all her walking without a vehicle. She doesn't have large groups , I also when its reasonable to do so join her small groups. It does however shock me as to how many dishonest professional dog walkers that claim to walk small groups , then appear with 8 or more dogs.

So, basically, these packwalkers walking 6 or more dogs, may not be complying with their insurance conditions.

Where does this leave the person, who is not one of their customers, whose dog gets damaged when a few of the pack dogs are not on a lead and kick off? Presumably they can claim on their own insurance. But can they claim against the dog walker?

Seems to me the packwalkers are in it for greed, and they couldn't care less about their customers' dogs, other people's dogs, other people's anxieties and rights to the same space, or their insurance companies. It's funny to see how some of them present themselves on their web-sites as champion dog whisperers and dogs' best friends.

So, basically, these packwalkers walking 6 or more dogs, may not be complying with their insurance conditions.

Where does this leave the person, who is not one of their customers, whose dog gets damaged when a few of the pack dogs are not on a lead and kick off? Presumably they can claim on their own insurance. But can they claim against the dog walker?

Seems to me the packwalkers are in it for greed, and they couldn't care less about their customers' dogs, other people's dogs, other people's anxieties and rights to the same space, or their insurance companies. It's funny to see how some of them present themselves on their web-sites as champion dog whisperers and dogs' best friends.

my dog walker has fortis or Ageas is its new name , dog walking insurance , which doesn't say she can only walk 6 , it does not say anything about numbers etc

Some pack walkers have expensive vans crammed full of dogs ! which isn't good walking practice . My dog walker is very good she only takes small groups , which she has made sure suits each dog in the group , she makes sure my dogs are happy with their pals , she ooo now uses private woodland which mean the general public are safe. However I know she also walks in graves park and meersbrook parks where this is plenty of room for dogs to run free .