Dog walking in packs

I was referring to non business pet insurance companies, it wasn't long since I signed a petition as owner was trying to take her declined case further. She had her dog on lead but she dropped it as her dog yanked the lead out of her hand as it saw a cat or squirrel. She was faced with a massive vets bill all because of a freak accident ?

This a totally different subject we were discussing professional dog walking , sorry .

This a totally different subject we were discussing professional dog walking , sorry .

Oh I see, I thought I was? I was merely saying how businesses and personal pet insurance differs.

Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered posting after all.

How can a dog be "under proper control" walking off lead?

How can a dog be "under proper control" walking off lead?

If a dog has been trained correctly , then they will respond to you . Many of my daily walkers have been with me 13 years max , I have a good rapport, good control because I know them well , they see me as pack leader , so they are more interested in me and not any one or anyone else . so yes they can be under proper responsible control .

If a dog has been trained correctly , then they will respond to you . Many of my daily walkers have been with me 13 years max , I have a good rapport, good control because I know them well , they see me as pack leader , so they are more interested in me and not any one or anyone else . so yes they can be under proper responsible control .

C&P

As a general rule of thumb, "not kept under proper control" means that the dog was neither on a lead nor muzzled.

It follows, therefore, that a dog does not actually have to injure someone to be dangerously out of control; it is enough that someone is in fear that it might.

https://www.eandl.co.uk/help-and-information/tips-and-advice/dog/uk-dog-law

My dog is as daft as a brush but, i do know that some people are frightened of it, it is a labrador.

Edited by kidley

Teeny - I admire your confidence and ability. However, you can never trust any dog 100%. Even highly trained working dogs sometimes err. Dogs are dogs and prone to instinct and drive, particularly when in a pack. Also, you never know what is round the corner. One off lead aggressive dog can cause mayhem. There is also the need to consider how other people feel about large numbers of off lead dogs; some would be quite alarmed, particularly in view of the fact that there is only one person in charge of the animals. Kidley's post is spot on. Dog walkers should use a lead at all times and only take a safe (small) number out at one time.

Edited by ccit

Teeny - I admire your confidence and ability. However, you can never trust any dog 100%. Even highly trained working dogs sometimes err. Dogs are dogs and prone to instinct and drive, particularly when in a pack. Also, you never know what is round the corner. One off lead aggressive dog can cause mayhem. There is also the need to consider how other people feel about large numbers of off lead dogs; some would be quite alarmed, particularly in view of the fact that there is only one person in charge of the animals. Kidley's post is spot on. Dog walkers should use a lead at all times and only take a safe (small) number out at one time.

As an employer of a professional dog walking service , I would want my dog exercised correctly off lead , My dog is very young , I am 74 , unless my dog has good exercise hes not tired , we cat cope with him ( hes a rescue sprocker high energy , ) Teeny stated in the thread she considers large groups not successful , she advocated small groups of 4/5 , which I have seen work with a number of dog walkers in the area . Teeny is confident in her skills she obviously has a proven track record with groups of dogs , which I suggest speaks for its self . Dogs which are just lead walked must suffer from acute boredom , lack of stimulation , dogs are pack animals , they don't waver easily from their leader. For many years dogs have been walked off lead , People now panic when they see a dog off lead or a small group of dogs , even when well controlled. Dog walkers should use their discretion to see if a dog is trustworthy enough to be off lead . Dogs arent prisoners but if they can't run and be free then whats the point? would you as a human want to be shackled to a lead because you cant behave or make mistakes ? Humans kill more people than dogs do , humans attack more humans than dogs do . Dogs aren't the resident evil of our country , Humans are.

As an employer of a professional dog walking service , I would want my dog exercised correctly off lead , My dog is very young , I am 74 , unless my dog has good exercise hes not tired , we cat cope with him ( hes a rescue sprocker high energy , ) Teeny stated in the thread she considers large groups not successful , she advocated small groups of 4/5 , which I have seen work with a number of dog walkers in the area . Teeny is confident in her skills she obviously has a proven track record with groups of dogs , which I suggest speaks for its self . Dogs which are just lead walked must suffer from acute boredom , lack of stimulation , dogs are pack animals , they don't waver easily from their leader. For many years dogs have been walked off lead , People now panic when they see a dog off lead or a small group of dogs , even when well controlled. Dog walkers should use their discretion to see if a dog is trustworthy enough to be off lead . Dogs arent prisoners but if they can't run and be free then whats the point? would you as a human want to be shackled to a lead because you cant behave or make mistakes ? Humans kill more people than dogs do , humans attack more humans than dogs do . Dogs aren't the resident evil of our country , Humans are.

You have answered your own post, its not only the dog you have to worry about,

read my post 17

extract

It follows, therefore, that a dog does not actually have to injure someone to be dangerously out of control; it is enough that someone is in fear that it might.

please dont onley think of one side of things like one or two above,

You have answered your own post, its not only the dog you have to worry about,

read my post 17

extract

please dont onley think of one side of things like one or two above,

Do you not think these new dog laws are warranted, I personally disagree for all my years alive on this earth , I have until recently walked my own dog , now at 74 I am becoming less able but still want a dog as my companion. Dogs in general are sociable friendly not frightening the world has gone mad , We really need to stop being fearful of dogs . Dogs are not the enemy ! Humans are !.

Do you not think these new dog laws are warranted, I personally disagree for all my years alive on this earth , I have until recently walked my own dog , now at 74 I am becoming less able but still want a dog as my companion. Dogs in general are sociable friendly not frightening the world has gone mad , We really need to stop being fearful of dogs . Dogs are not the enemy ! Humans are !.

I agree with you 100% with one correction, the dog act is not new it is 1871,made an act of parliament 1991, i have a dog and yes it does go off the lead for some exercise, it needs it, its a gun dog, where it does run about every body knows it but, if a stranger comes along it goes back on the lead, not because my dog is dangerous its because other people are wary of dogs off lead, quite honestly if i so 4-5 dogs running about off lead i would be a bit apprehensive as well,

Thats my bit for what its worth, and i hope your dog lives a long and healthy life for you.

I agree with you 100% with one correction, the dog act is not new it is 1871,made an act of parliament 1991, i have a dog and yes it does go off the lead for some exercise, it needs it, its a gun dog, where it does run about every body knows it but, if a stranger comes along it goes back on the lead, not because my dog is dangerous its because other people are wary of dogs off lead, quite honestly if i so 4-5 dogs running about off lead i would be a bit apprehensive as well,

Thats my bit for what its worth, and i hope your dog lives a long and healthy life for you.

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/dangerous-dogs-act-1991-new-changes-may-2014

This is possibly what Ken means . As this supersedes the act you are talking of .

Well said Kensmith!