York & Lancaster Regt

I served with the regiment 1953 to 1955 in Sudan and Egypt. Before moving from Sudan to Egypt I was sent on a detachment with the signal platoon to a place called Gebeit in the red sea hills. The thing that impressed me was that all the regiments that served in Sudan built their cap badges on the sides of the hill using different colored rocks and other materials. It's asking a lot but does anyone else remember.

I served with the regiment 1953 to 1955 in Sudan and Egypt. Before moving from Sudan to Egypt I was sent on a detachment with the signal platoon to a place called Gebeit in the red sea hills. The thing that impressed me was that all the regiments that served in Sudan built their cap badges on the sides of the hill using different colored rocks and other materials. It's asking a lot but does anyone else remember.

Hi Gerry - I was in the Royal Sigs. and also was in Egypt, I remember traveling in the Gebel mountain region, I don't recall the formations that you mention but I do remember vividly the signs of sea life everywhere like fossils and sea shells etc. I don't know what that tells you though. fleetwood

The very ones cloudforest, Thankyou.

Hi, I am trying to find any one tha was in the York and lances regiment in Aden approximately 1956/7/8, my dad was in the regiment, and keeps reminiscing about how he enjoyed his time in the regiment.I think he did his training at Barnard castle.

Many thanks

John.

Hi, I am trying to find any one tha was in the York and lances regiment in Aden approximately 1956/7/8, my dad was in the regiment, and keeps reminiscing about how he enjoyed his time in the regiment.I think he did his training at Barnard castle.

Many thanks

John.

Hi John

I also served in the 1st Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment in 1958, in Aden.

Trained at Pontefract Castle then stationed at Dover Castle, then Aden . . .

. . . and finally Barnard Castle.

Mick.