Cycling on pavements

I remember when the SF used to be full of cycle supporters.

Car drivers used to get shouted down on every thread.

What happened?

Nah, that was bus drivers who got the abuse.

Another day and another idiot in a car. This time they can't see me doing 35kph down the road and so they pull out. I have to swerve and overtake them (or do an emergency stop, which may not have been in time).

See youtube for the video.

Guest sibon
Another day and another idiot in a car. This time they can't see me doing 35kph down the road and so they pull out. I have to swerve and overtake them (or do an emergency stop, which may not have been in time).

See youtube for the video.

This thread is about cycling on the pavement.

It's the most recent cycling thread. I suppose I could have started a new one, but I didn't, I guess you'll have to live with it.

This thread is about cycling on the pavement.

Well, there's the proof, you just cannot educate cyclists. Pavement or road makes no difference at all to them.

Guest sibon
It's the most recent cycling thread. I suppose I could have started a new one, but I didn't, I guess you'll have to live with it.

I was being metaphorical.

Unsurprisingly, you missed it and took me literally.

Ah, well...

Really, I'm sure you can explain what the metaphor was.

I'll give you this as a bonus

metaphor

ˈmɛtəfə,ˈmɛtəfɔː/Submit

noun

a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Guest sibon
Really, I'm sure you can explain what the metaphor was.

I'll give you this as a bonus

I'll leave you to think about a comment about a post in the wrong place, on a thread about machines and their users being in the wrong place.

Get back to me when you have an answer.

Well, I can see what you were trying to do, but it still wasn't a metaphor.

"Posting that is like riding on the pavement."

That's a metaphor.

What you said was simply a statement.

OK, I'll probably get shot down in flames for this BUT, there are times when it's best for the cyclist to use the pavement. I cycle most days from Malin Bridge to Catcliffe and do so at certain places. It's better/safer for me and makes it easier for the motorist. I saw a perfect example of this today while driving a van. A chap on a road bike going from Beighton up the main road towards Woodhouse on the road ( as he should be you all will probably cry). He was completely oblivious to the tail back behind him, unable to pass due to oncoming traffic . There was a perfectly usable pedestrian free path which I would have definitely been on in that situation ensuring my safety and speedy progress for the traffic. On the continent in places like Ghent, Brugge, Amsterdam etc that's how it works. And for what it's worth, I honestly believe that the biggest danger on our roads today is the texting driver.

Common sense magneteer, it should be legal to do this,especially at rush hour.

it would be a joy to be a pedestrian in London with all those aggressive cycle couriers on the pavement if it was legal.