Pond Street shops

Ah! the chestnut stand, great memories on the way to catch the last bus.

Was the Chestnut man really there at last bus time ?

What was the other cafe called the one that had the images of London buses inside hung on the wall. I think it was outside platform C not part of the main building.

There was a row of shops on the second level of what was a parking building at the bottom of Flat St. across from the Penny Black, but the only one that I remember was a fish and chip shop. That was the only one in Sheffield open on Sundays at that time.

i used to work at the round kiosk in pond st .menzies newsagents then at showboat bingo just below fiesta nite club

Was the Chestnut man really there at last bus time ?

Certainly in the sixties, catching the home going cinema crowds.

down hill from the penny black was a car welding company called fab weld

---------- Post added 13-11-2017 at 20:38 ----------

also had a paper shop at the side of the Heely palace picture house50-60s era

Harold Brook’s partner in the newsagents’ business was a man called Albert Wilson.

If memory serves, I think the chippy was called "The Friery."

I seem to remember a crime taking place there wasnt the car park attendant murdered ? I cant remember what the motive was poor man

I think that case is still unsolved.

I think that case is still unsolved.

I think so, too.

it was round and sold papers and i used to buy choc bars ,they did a bar that had dark,light and normal all laird it was great,anyone else recalling this circled shop

it was round and sold papers and i used to buy choc bars ,they did a bar that had dark,light and normal all laird it was great,anyone else recalling this circled shop

My mum worked there in the 70’s, it was known as the ‘threpney bit’ because of its shape!

Fry's Chocolate Sandwich.

Just looked back on here as I had previously posted about the supermarket in Pond Street I said was Thrifty but a poster said it was Prestos. I just looked and it was Thrifty, there are some posts about the old places on the memories of Shopping in seventies Sheffield thread. I think it must have been Thrifty then went to Presto as one poster says they worked there in 68 and someone else was manager there in 72.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-466614.html

Edited by iansheff