Blades opinions on this

Following a discussion I had I thought id ask blades fans on here, which team would win if the current Sheffield United team played the Sheffield United team that won promotion to the Premier League under Warnock? Hypothetically of course.

I know which one would be better to watch. To go back further we had a team which was top of the whole pile and didn't lose a game until October in season 1971/72. In the first four matches we beat the three previous seasons Champions, two of them on their own patch.

Hypotheticals mmm?

I know which one would be better to watch. To go back further we had a team which was top of the whole pile and didn't lose a game until October in season 1971/72. In the first four matches we beat the three previous seasons Champions, two of them on their own patch.

Hypotheticals mmm?

Yes what a season that was .We beat everyone and were sitting in number one spot in the Premier (league one then) league.Then a long came Gorgy Best and scored a blinder which was shown every week on match of the day.I was at Old Trafford but did not see the game because the ground was full .There must have been 20,000 locked out so I listened to it on the radio in the car.What a team we had the best utd team I have seen with T C calling the shots and pulling the strings and Woodward unleashing his thunder bolts they were the masters .

I was in Old Trafford that day with my mum and dad. Best did nothing for about 85mins as Trevor Hockey was in his face all afternoon. The turning point came, I think, when Ted Hemsley had to go off to be replaced by Gil Reece and then Best scored... down Hemsleys channel. Then Best set up a 2nd for Alan Gowling.

That Blades team, Hope, Badger, Hemsley, Flynn, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woodward, Salmons, Dearden, Currie, Scullion/Reece

Best I ever saw.

Richard

I was in Old Trafford that day with my mum and dad. Best did nothing for about 85mins as Trevor Hockey was in his face all afternoon. The turning point came, I think, when Ted Hemsley had to go off to be replaced by Gil Reece and then Best scored... down Hemsleys channel. Then Best set up a 2nd for Alan Gowling.

That Blades team, Hope, Badger, Hemsley, Flynn, Colquhoun, Hockey, Woodward, Salmons, Dearden, Currie, Scullion/Reece

Best I ever saw.

Richard

I think you are right mate that was the best Blades team I can remember to.I think we ended up in 6th place just short of a euro place.What is comparable to todays team is that John Harris the manager payed hardly anything for his players.They were all nobodies from the lower leagues .Even T C only cost 350000 I believe 10,000 for Dearden who scored at least 20 goals a season from Chester.He scored a hat trick against Derby who had the two center halves for England playing for them.He gave them a right going over they just could not live with him all for 10 grand not 10 million 10 grand.Wilder reminds me of John Harris who had the same knack of picking up players from lower divisions who turn out to be aces for next to nothing.

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 11:25 ----------

I think you are right mate that was the best Blades team I can remember to.I think we ended up in 6th place just short of a euro place.What is comparable to todays team is that John Harris the manager payed hardly anything for his players.They were all nobodies from the lower leagues .Even T C only cost 350000 I believe 10,000 for Dearden who scored at least 20 goals a season from Chester.He scored a hat trick against Derby who had the two center halves for England playing for them.He gave them a right going over they just could not live with him all for 10 grand not 10 million 10 grand.Wilder reminds me of John Harris who had the same knack of picking up players from lower divisions who turn out to be aces for next to nothing.

Sorry i put an extra zero on T C price it was 35 grand .

I was there that day with my future mrs. We got in but they shut the turnstile behind us and the couple we were with were locked out with several thousand more!

What happened was that Ted Helmsley got injured and was replaced by Gil Reece and the bench were screaming at Geoff Salmons to get back and replace Ted.

Salmons was having a great game and deliberately ignored the bench.

Poor old Gil was a terrific winger but couldn't tackle a fish and chip supper and he stood there transfixed as Best ran past him and scored.

Many years later I was on my way from Rotherham to Doncaster on business when I decided to call in for lunch at a pub somewhere half way between.

To my surprise the landlord turned out to be Geoff Salmons.

" I've got a bone to pick with you " says I.

After I'd had a right go at him for dereliction of duty he burst out laughing shook his head and said " You Blades, you never forget do you? "

Came across as a decent bloke and told me a few tales about the rest of the lads at that time.

I was there that day with my future mrs. We got in but they shut the turnstile behind us and the couple we were with were locked out with several thousand more!

What happened was that Ted Helmsley got injured and was replaced by Gil Reece and the bench were screaming at Geoff Salmons to get back and replace Ted.

Salmons was having a great game and deliberately ignored the bench.

Poor old Gil was a terrific winger but couldn't tackle a fish and chip supper and he stood there transfixed as Best ran past him and scored.

Many years later I was on my way from Rotherham to Doncaster on business when I decided to call in for lunch at a pub somewhere half way between.

To my surprise the landlord turned out to be Geoff Salmons.

" I've got a bone to pick with you " says I.

After I'd had a right go at him for dereliction of duty he burst out laughing shook his head and said " You Blades, you never forget do you? "

Came across as a decent bloke and told me a few tales about the rest of the lads at that time.

great story mate.

That team brings back a lot of memories....

My Dad got given 2 tickets for Hillsborough one time and they were playing Birmingham City. A certain T Hockey got himself sent off that day.. and we both thought he was the dirtiest player we ever saw (closely followed by Huddersfields Geoff Hutt)... imagine our disgust when United signed him! Possibly the best signing Harris ever made.

Similarly, my Dad came home one day and said we have signed a "crock". Eddie Colquhoun was always injured and we had seen him playing for West Brom and looking a complete donkey....

.. and the rest is history.

Richard

That team brings back a lot of memories....

My Dad got given 2 tickets for Hillsborough one time and they were playing Birmingham City. A certain T Hockey got himself sent off that day.. and we both thought he was the dirtiest player we ever saw (closely followed by Huddersfields Geoff Hutt)... imagine our disgust when United signed him! Possibly the best signing Harris ever made.

Similarly, my Dad came home one day and said we have signed a "crock". Eddie Colquhoun was always injured and we had seen him playing for West Brom and looking a complete donkey....

.. and the rest is history.

Richard

I saw Hockey play for Birmingham against us in a night match at the Lane.

Remember saying to a mate with me at the match that that little bearded git is a right nasty piece of work.

However, when we signed him shortly afterward I realised that I was mistaken in that conclusion and in fact Trevor was simply competitive to a high degree and committed to the cause.

It's amazing how first impressions can be so badly wrong. :)

I saw Hockey play for Birmingham against us in a night match at the Lane.

Remember saying to a mate with me at the match that that little bearded git is a right nasty piece of work.

However, when we signed him shortly afterward I realised that I was mistaken in that conclusion and in fact Trevor was simply competitive to a high degree and committed to the cause.

It's amazing how first impressions can be so badly wrong. :)

I believe Harris gave Hockey a simple instruction on how to play for United.

"Get the ball, give it to Currie"

Simple.

Richard

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 11:25 ----------

Sorry i put an extra zero on T C price it was 35 grand .

TC was signed for £26,500 from Watford in 1968 & Eddie Colqohoun for £27,500 from WBA same year if I remember right, for me they were part of the best team in my time watching football at bramall lane & of the two Sheffield clubs. For what it's worth TC is the best player at his peak during my time too, IMHO

TC was signed for £26,500 from Watford in 1968 & Eddie Colqohoun for £27,500 from WBA same year if I remember right, for me they were part of the best team in my time watching football at bramall lane & of the two Sheffield clubs. For what it's worth TC is the best player at his peak during my time too, IMHO

Well thanks for putting me right on T C s price .I thought it was a bit high for John Harris to pay so much after all he was Scottish.Trevor Hockey was a great character with his furry car and his looks.I think he used to scare the opposition with his looks.I do not think he would last 90 mins today on the pitch he was a little terrier .When the opposition saw him coming for them for the ball they used to just give it to him I think .When you got tackled by Hockey you knew for a couple of days later who had tackled you.Did a great job for the Blades.