Not Like A Proper Job

Trying to source a copy of Not Like A Proper Job,a history of Sheffield bands in the 60's/70's for a friend but it seems it is not available anymore

Trying to source a copy of Not Like A Proper Job,a history of Sheffield bands in the 60's/70's for a friend but it seems it is not available anymore

What a shame, a great book about the early music scene in Sheffield. I still have mine in pristine condition along with the CD that came with it. Funny enough it was something a lad's dad said to him about wanting to play in a band, that inspired the book title. That lad was the recently deceased Mal Hooley, RIP.

Secondhand copies of the book are available but they aren't cheap. ABE Books has one at £45 + p&p including the CD (this copy is being sold by OXFAM). Amazon has some but they are dearer, priced at £75+ and may not include the CD.

Have you tried to contact the authors, John Firminger and Martin Lilleker? If they thought there was enough interest, they maybe could arrange with the publisher to run a new printing .Or contact the publisher Juma @ 44 Wellington St. tel. 0114 272 0195. Unless of course, you have tried all that.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Have you tried to contact the authors, John Firminger and Martin Lilleker? If they thought there was enough interest, they maybe could arrange with the publisher to run a new printing .Or contact the publisher Juma @ 44 Wellington St. tel. 0114 272 0195. Unless of course, you have tried all that.

I would love this book, my cousin is pictured and mentioned, one of the first mobile discos, he passed away last year. The book is out of print and I cannot afford the price of a 2nd hand one.

Sadly Martin Lilleker passed away last year - he was a massive champion of Sheffield live music and nice bloke as well

I would love this book, my cousin is pictured and mentioned, one of the first mobile discos, he passed away last year. The book is out of print and I cannot afford the price of a 2nd hand one.

That book Sheffieldish was being offered on line at ridiculous prices for the same reasons i.e.out of print, however, I believe the descendants of the author were publishing it again. Not sure that has happened though. That is a way to go, try lobbying the publishers, if enough interest is found they may run another edition.

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 23:36 ----------

Sadly Martin Lilleker passed away last year - he was a massive champion of Sheffield live music and nice bloke as well

Sorry to hear that RIP Martin. So many have passed on who were featured in or contributed to that book, since it came out 16 years ago, notably, Joe Cocker, Terry Steeples and recently journeyman bassist and guitarist, local lad Mal Hooley, plus quite a few more, I would guess, considering the time frame the book covers.

I worked with john firminger back in the mid 60s at gees decorators merchants on shoreham street,there was never a dull moment.

I worked with john firminger back in the mid 60s at gees decorators merchants on shoreham street,there was never a dull moment.

I'll bet! I've known him for some years, as you say "never a dull moment".

If you ring the printers who printed it they still have copies at original price with cd...

martin on 0114 2720915