Moving home with cats

I'll be moving home soon and I'm a bit worried about how to handle my two cats on/around move day.

I have a confident tom and a shy/nervous girl.

I'm worried about all the banging and moving stressing them out, and also the possibility of them escaping en route or whilst we're moving things in to the new house.

I've thought about putting them in to a cattery for a few days, but they're 9 now and have never been anywhere other than our current house (and the vets occasionally!!) for their whole lives since we got them from the Shelter. I'm worried that might be too stressful. Or perhaps that'd be less stressful than being exposed to the actual move?

Any advice? Cattery advice?

I have a dog too but she'll be going to stay with a friend for the duration as she's also quite sensitive and hates any banging about or frayed tempers, which I'm sure there'll be lots of!

Any good tips for settling them in to the new house would be great too. The dog'll be ok - she's used to going to other people's houses and hotels with us and will settle anywhere we are. The tom cat will think it's a brilliant adventure but the girl cat will probably literally pee herself constantly :gag:

https://icatcare.org/advice/keeping-your-cat-happy/moving-house-your-cat

Lots of useful advice here.

People do often use catteries for a few days whilst they move and it can be a good option. You'll need to be sure they're neutered and up to date with vaccs though if you want to use a cattery.

I see you are a bit more worried about the girl cat (obviously). On the move day, I’d suggest you let the cats occupy a room that you’ve already vacated.

Add in all their favourite toys in the mover to keep them engaged and ensure that you block out all the clangs and bangs that are bound to emanate from all the moving around. On the moving day, make sure that you inform the movers about your confident tom and your nervous girl and to be super cautious when moving stuff around. Put up a board or something for good measure. During the commute to your new place, I’d suggest that you accompany your cats separately in another vehicle so that they know they are with someone whom they trust minus the clanging and banging.

Once you are done moving, expose the new place slowly and gradually to your cats. Let them investigate the place on their own and take the new place in. Make use of items from your old place so that they recognise the familiar smells which will make them feel secure. This will surely help your cats bond with the new place. Keep the mover in a specific spot though and be sure that it is the exact place where you will want to locate your cats. Accompany your cats when they are roaming around the house and keep an eye on them to see if it is calm or is anxious. And soon enough, your both your cats will get used to the new home. :D

Ive moved twice with my 3 in 4 years- the first time, we moved the cats across first- as the new house had a conservatory, so first thing we put them in the carriers and took them over. Leftout a litter tray/food water, and closed the door.

That evening we opened the door, so they could wander downstairs. And kept them inside for 2 weeks (easier said than done when one Cat is an ex feral and hates being inside)

With the most recent move, we moved the cats last- again left them in the conservatory and then once all the other furniture was moved we let them into the kitchen. Let them into the rest of the house next morning- just sort of ignored them and let them nosey round

With the recent move it was a bit more of a pain as we moved literally round the corner so once we let them out they did go back to the old house a couple of times.

Good luck :)

We've moved now and we also opted to use the conservatory as a base at first, and also put feliways all over the house.

Weirdly though, our nervous cat is like a different cat now. So much more confident and hasn't had any accidents at all - and this was the cat that wet herself all over me just before we moved, she was so stressed.

Not sure if having to spend three weeks in cat jail (a cattery) changed her or whether it's moving to a far more rural area with very few other cats around (only seen one, whereas at our old house there were millions of cats everywhere) but she's totally different :confused:

We could only keep them indoors for a couple of weeks as well as my tom cat was going to end up doing himself an injury trying to get out, but they're both really enjoying going outside. Luckily there aren't any busy roads anywhere nearby so they're pretty safe.

That's brilliant news. Cats seem to know don't they when they are safe and home. Xx

Hi all the above is great advice but from a moving point of view if you get a room empty and the cats go in there while the movers are working put the largest sign possible on the door saying 'CATS LOOSE' as its really easy to forget it when your busy.

Also you can get a sort of lite Valium type tablet from a vets which will make them far more calm.

Hope this helps