Questions for students please read

This is what Leeds City Council do, perhaps they have something similar in Sheffield.

Homeshare will carefully match an older Householder with a room to spare with a younger person, who will provide an agreed amount of support to the Householder and receive affordable accommodation.

https://timetoshineleeds.org/blog/leeds-homeshare

Sounds like your dad would be better off applying to host someone from the organised groups coming from China etc. who need accommodation like in a family. They are better behaved and grateful of the interaction because of language improvement. Ordinary Hallam Uni students don't want the interference of ordinary folk with wisdom to give, or good food to offer. They want independence to drink, shout, swear, fornicate and eat pizza (often all at the same time), then throw the box (and anything else) on the street. Anyone willing to take me on on that should see my portfolio of 15 years worth of incidents on my street.

Edited by Jeddo

A lodger may be a good solution to a 'younger older person', like myself(56); but I believe sheltered housing is a better option for older people.

They can be really good, certainly a lot safer than getting a lodger.

In our area there are several English schools that look for digs for their foreign students during the summer.

Perhaps there are similar around Sheffield and this might give your Dad an idea as to whether he would want to take it further.

What about airbnb? Chance to meet some interesting people and if they aren't great for whatever reason they won't stay more than a few days anyway! No long term contracts so no concerns about evicting people.

Or as Davyboy says above, hosting overseas students for short courses. My polish niece came over to study English in the summer for 2 weeks and was hosted by a family in London. Might not be such a high market in Sheffield though but then again both unis have high numbers of Chinese students?

My mother has been doing this for a while in Durham. You will tend to get post grad/international students/quiet students as undergrad brits will want generally want to go into halls and go on the lash regularly. my mother didn't cook meals but did clean the rooms and do all their washing. She had certain rooms in the house they could use (kitchen, bathroom, dining room, 1 bedroom) and others they couldn't - this was all in the contract. The benefit of cleaning their rooms is that you can give them a licensee contract (due to regular access to room needed) rather than a tenancy agreement which gives them far fewer rights. She generally found it to be a positive experience but at times did find it a tad intrusive.

The other issue is you can't really charge them rent in the holidays - but it does mean you get a break and if they turn out to be a bit of a pain at least you know they'll only be there for 6 months or at most a year.

She stays in touch with some of them as they got on well. Others she was glad to see the back of (stinky dave being one).

Edited by TimmyR

Very interesting thanks! I hope he does not end up with a 'stinky dave' haha!!!

Just looking on spareroom.com, its around £1 per day, that is to contact someone or to place an add.

I guess if it works, that is ok. there are people on housing benefit (£62 per week) and people wanting rooms that will pay £100 per week, more for a double.

Just looking on spareroom.com, its around £1 per day, that is to contact someone or to place an add.

I guess if it works, that is ok. there are people on housing benefit (£62 per week) and people wanting rooms that will pay £100 per week, more for a double.

spare room has always worked for me in the past. Worth the small charge, although what they are actually charging for is a mystery.