Questions for students please read

Hello I need your opinions please! My dad is planning to get 2 student lodgers. He has a large pleasant but cold house, he is thinking he might cater for those who live there.

So.. my questions..

Would you be happy to have your meals made for you?

If so how often and what sort of meals?

What facilities would you expect ? Like TV internet land line use.. washer drier, parking etc etc

Oh and how much rent would you pay?

Many thanks Anna xx

Hello I need your opinions please! My dad is planning to get 2 student lodgers. He has a large pleasant but cold house, he is thinking he might cater for those who live there.

So.. my questions..

Would you be happy to have your meals made for you?

If so how often and what sort of meals?

What facilities would you expect ? Like TV internet land line use.. washer drier, parking etc etc

Oh and how much rent would you pay?

Many thanks Anna xx

Hi, I'm not a student but maybe I can give some advice! I suppose it all depends on the type of student your dad is interested in. For example, someone in their first/second year of an undergraduate programme may have very different demands to another studying a postgraduate course. Perhaps, if any students reply to this thread they could state what kind/status of student they are too.

A student in a postgraduate programme may have a more steady routine, and thus would be able to have a more regular timetable and be able to make meals. I suppose if meals weren't provided then there would need to be some expectation that they could use the kitchen to prepare their own, perhaps some fridge space etc.

In terms of facilities I feel that an internet connection and wireless would probably be the most standard one, which would trump a TV. Washer/dryer would also be an added bonus. Parking probably depends on the location of the accommodation - it would probably be also difficult for your dad to arrange parking if there wasn't already parking available so perhaps no need to worry too much about this one.

I have no idea about what to charge, and it would really depend on a range of factors (which you've got above plus others). Perhaps have a look at some of the prices for house lodging offered through the universities to see the price difference between catered and non catered etc.

Sorry I can't really be of much help - but it might be a start!

Thanks! Yes that's a good start.. I hope a few students will reply, especially about the catering option

Another point to remember is your dad would have to inform his insurance company.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like an utterly terrible idea.

Most people don't want to share the same street with students, let alone a house.

As for facilities they will want high speed internet (unlimited), washer/dryer, kitchen/fridge space and a decent bathroom.

It's highly unlikely they will want anyone cooking for them, nor will they want to share mealtime with anyone.

Most likely they won't clear up after themselves and will come home at all times of day and night, sometimes with a companion.

Students are exempt from Council Tax and won't want to contribute towards it, but the rate your father pays wouldn't change.

I totally agree with geared...

Older working people would be a better fit. It's normal to have potential lodgers come visit and chat to find out whether they would get on. Neither wants to live with someone who will clash with them.

Thanks, I think my dad wants to dip his toes in the water maybe just for a term to see how he gets on.. I think mature students would certainly suit him better than young uns!

Better to have paying lodgers than be on his own?

Yes.. thats his thought.. it will give him s bit more to do, and some company (hopefully)

Thanks all for the replies.. keep em coming!

Yes.. thats his thought.. it will give him s bit more to do, and some company (hopefully)

Thanks all for the replies.. keep em coming!

I am thinking along similar lines, I just have one spare bedroom. I wont be cooking meals; they would have to put up with my dog.

I would be thinking about a older person, although they would be an unknown person.

You do get temporary school staff, and I came across a cricketer from India wanting lodgings, it could be anything. But the unknown is a risk.

It is a matter of who would put up with me, too, I would need to be tidy.

I have not done it yet, as I am just buying my house, and I may have visiting family; maybe temporary, or maybe next year.