Stocksbridge bus service. Why so dire?

You would prefer all the extra cars on the roads?

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 11:02 ----------

Ok i should have said very slowly.

No, I would prefer a robust and reliable transport system, one which was designed to not cause more traffic issues than it solves - Hillsborough Corner, Shalesmoor and Granville Road/Shrewsbury Road being prime examples.

The system should have been fully segregated to start off with, instead we have the current system that was planned to 1970s travel habits and patterns. Indeed even the system was routed past Kelvin Flats and Norfolk Park for the high-rise flats and large housing estates, that were pulled down a few years after the system opened - bizarre! :rant:

You are correct, some Trams dont have the correct equipment and in some cases the equipment isnt being used correctly.

As i understand it the system is slowly getting better and the teething problems slowly being ironed out. I do wonder if the new Tram Trans will cope better will cope any better.

What I would love to see is an official measure of the accuracy of these PIDs over time but of course there is no way that the PTE will share this (assuming they collect it)

I wonder how many would agree that it is getting better - I for one do not think so based on my observations

What I would love to see is an official measure of the accuracy of these PIDs over time but of course there is no way that the PTE will share this (assuming they collect it)

I wonder how many would agree that it is getting better - I for one do not think so based on my observations

You need to remember, the PIDs are the same as those used for the buses and do operate well if they are working and collecting the data.

If no data is received, then the time is shown (YELL 12:09 Middlewood) and this is just estimated timetable information that is the same shown in the timetable case. They only work well if they are live tracking (YELL 6 Mins Middlewood).

If timetable information is shown and the tram is late, or a late Blue turns up before a Yellow this presents to passengers that they are useless and don't work/update accurately.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 11:13 ----------

Back the discussion about the bus service to Stocksbridge, Stagecoach Bus are launching a consultation about the future of the SL1/SL1A services following the announcement of the Supertram timetable change from 28 January 2018.

The consultation and options available are here: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/sl1consultationoct17

In short - another cut in the service, following on from the major cut backs to the 57. Down from 6 buses to 5 buses per hour - with a decision to be made to either not serve Unsliven Bridge or Garden Village in the evenings, leaving no evening service provision for which ever of these areas becomes unfortunate...

The system should have been fully segregated to start off with, instead we have the current system that was planned to 1970s travel habits and patterns. Indeed even the system was routed past Kelvin Flats and Norfolk Park for the high-rise flats and large housing estates, that were pulled down a few years after the system opened - bizarre! :rant:

Its very easy to criticize with hindsight but its important to remember that when the system was designed it was one of the first in the country, with valuable lessons learned since.

There have also been huge increases in traffic levels in the last 20 years.

However i do agree with your final point. There was a distinct lack of forward planning between SCC and SYPTE at the time of inception.

You need to remember, the PIDs are the same as those used for the buses and do operate well if they are working and collecting the data.

If no data is received, then the time is shown (YELL 12:09 Middlewood) and this is just estimated timetable information that is the same shown in the timetable case. They only work well if they are live tracking (YELL 6 Mins Middlewood).

If timetable information is shown and the tram is late, or a late Blue turns up before a Yellow this presents to passengers that they are useless and don't work/update accurately.

Actually you have probably highlighted the root cause of the problem in that they bought the same system as used on the buses and not one of the tried and tested systems designed for trams

The information comes from the trams, that what makes it real-time. the PTE could only provide timetable information.

Stagecoach provide the information and they also control the information on the PIDS.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 10:47 ----------

You seem to have the wrong end of the stick. Swap the words PTE with Stagecoach you would be spot on.

Err.. no.

Sorry but I do actually know what I’m talking about here.

Supertram provide information regarding the running time of the trams to the PTE.

The original plan was that OCC at Nunnery Depot would have a terminal allowing them access to control the messages etc on the PIDS in much the same way they have a terminal allowing them to input signals at UTC etc. However the PTE have NEVER given them the access to do this.

The ONLY way messages can be put on the PIDS is by the staff at TSY.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 12:15 ----------

That's the problem the information does not in fact come from the trams on many occasions - every time you see a time and not minutes due it means that they are not in contact with the tram, and have no idea where it is or even if it is running and therefore show the timetabled time. The PTE claim to have been working on this for 2+years to get it right

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 10:55 ----------

They should but do not:

The other week when the service was suspended Stagecoach were rung up and asked to turn the displays off and put a message saying the service was suspended and to use the replacement bus - they said it was not their responsibility contact the PTE

The PTE were then rung and they said it is not our responsibility contact Stagecoach

Oh by the way this was not by a member of the public it was by a Stagecoach employee with access to the right people

I think somebody is talking porkies. I have been stood in OCC when they have made a phone call to TSY and dictated a message down the phone which then appeared on the PIDS. I cannot imagine any employee saying it isn’t Supertram’s responsibility.

I’m assuming the Stagecoach staff member you’re referring to is the regulator based at Middlewood. I’m due there later so I’ll check with him regarding what actually happened.

Err.. no.

Supertram provide information regarding the running time of the trams to the PTE.

The original plan was that OCC at Nunnery Depot would have a terminal allowing them access to control the messages etc on the PIDS in much the same way they have a terminal allowing them to input signals at UTC etc. However the PTE have NEVER given them the access to do this.

The ONLY way messages can be put on the PIDS is by the staff at TSY.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 12:15 ----------

I think somebody is talking porkies. I have been stood in OCC when they have made a phone call to TSY and dictated a message down the phone which then appeared on the PIDS. I cannot imagine any employee saying it isn’t Supertram’s responsibility.

I’m assuming the Stagecoach staff member you’re referring to is the regulator based at Middlewood. I’m due there later so I’ll check with him regarding what actually happened.

Are you suggesting that it is me that is telling lies or the Stagecoach employee?

---------- Post added 28-10-2017 at 10:14 ----------

Hook please update on what "regulator" said to you - I strongly resent the implication that either he or I are lying but he is not able to defend himself here on Social media

[/color]Back the discussion about the bus service to Stocksbridge, Stagecoach Bus are launching a consultation about the future of the SL1/SL1A services following the announcement of the Supertram timetable change from 28 January 2018.

The consultation and options available are here: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/sl1consultationoct17

In short - another cut in the service, following on from the major cut backs to the 57. Down from 6 buses to 5 buses per hour - with a decision to be made to either not serve Unsliven Bridge or Garden Village in the evenings, leaving no evening service provision for which ever of these areas becomes unfortunate...

So, if they are consulting, how about having an option of re-introducing direct buses to Sheffield? Another option could be continuing to run the buses every 10 minutes, especially as the buses and trams do not connect with any regularity.

In fairness Stagecoach Bus are doing their very best to ensure connections and to stop their buses leaving in full site of the arriving tram.

It is however an interesting question that given the failure to connect anyway why Stagecoach bus should reduce their service to match the tram and not keep it at the current level. perhaps there should have been a 4th option of keeping the service as it is

Can we stay on topic please (Stocksbridge bus services)?

Thank you.

In fairness Stagecoach Bus are doing their very best to ensure connections and to stop their buses leaving in full site of the arriving tram.

It is however an interesting question that given the failure to connect anyway why Stagecoach bus should reduce their service to match the tram and not keep it at the current level. perhaps there should have been a 4th option of keeping the service as it is

I think the bus side have made more effort, but for reasons already stated above, the trams are not able to connect with the bus. The idea of there being a 7 minute interchange penalty at Middlewood, when all goes to plan, shows how inefficient the change is.

After 10 years the interchange has not improved, but the alternatives have been taken away.

A few years ago, SYPTE said that they had a plan to stop the gradual service reductions; since then there have been two reductions to the evening service to Stocksbridge and now it looks like there will be further reductions to the daytime service.

So what actually is the problem?

Do stagecoach provide information from every tram?

As for Stocksbridge, there is a lot of new development in the area and plans for a lot of new houses, the council should be able to take contributions via the planning system to improve the situation with buses but its not always a priority, as with Fox Valley.

Edited by the fonz