Stocksbridge bus service. Why so dire?

Passengers who board 57/57a route the length of Haggstones road to Worrall road Wadsley do not have an alternative service. 1 bus per hour, and often so full it's standing only. Single deckers early morning are not adequate or an extra bus should be added.

Passengers who board 57/57a route the length of Haggstones road to Worrall road Wadsley do not have an alternative service. 1 bus per hour, and often so full it's standing only. Single deckers early morning are not adequate or an extra bus should be added.

Thank you hillgirl I'm glad someone is looking at route 57 other than the Stocksbridge end.

The 57 also goes to Pond Street where it makes it easier to get your connections and easy access to the train station. They should be at least every half hour.

Why would you want to get the 57 in to town? I was forced to recently due to having my dog with me and it was awful and took about 100 years to get there.

Getting the SL and the tram is much better and quicker.

Unfortunately the SL doesn't serve my end of the village, I'm nearly a mile from the nearest SL stop into town. I got a car just before I moved here, so I've never had to catch the bus, luckily.

When I previously lived at Deepcar, I used to prefer the 57, sometimes you got free wifi, and it drops me very close to work.

So why are people in Stocksbridge and Deepcar [etc.,] not pleased about their bus services??

Do SYPTE have any power these days or is it all down to the First and Stagecoach bus conglomerates??

Seems to be all about lining big businesses pockets and to hell with public services for your average folk

As I said, The evening and Sunday service is run under contract to SYPTE with public subsidy, the daytime service is a commercial business venture although apparently not a very profitable one.

---------- Post added 26-09-2017 at 07:17 ----------

Thank you hillgirl I'm glad someone is looking at route 57 other than the Stocksbridge end.

The 57 also goes to Pond Street where it makes it easier to get your connections and easy access to the train station. They should be at least every half hour.

they've just been cut from half hourly due to lack of patronage!

Another issue with the 57 is the change of time. My son used to have time to leave the High School at 3pm and run down the hill to catch the bus back to Wadsley. The bus now leaves about 5 mins earlier so he had no hope of getting it and has to catch the SL1 and walk up Langsett Avenue. He would love to use the 57 service but the changes made to it mean he cannot. This will be another nail in the coffin for the service and no doubt used as a reason to remove it altogether. Same thing happened (many years ago) to the 87 service going up Wood Lane in Stannington. They made the service so unreliable you had to use the 88 instead and have a 10 min walk through a field (or longer through an estate) to ensure you could get home. The service was then removed as no one used it!!

The bus companies appear to have lost site of what the purpose of their existence actually is, or SHOULD be, and that is to serve people in a reliable and convenient way, but no, they dictate to US how things are to be to suit THEM.

Sheffield's bus service in general is a shadow of its former self and on the whole a bit of a balls up.

They exist to make a profit, like all other private companies. :thumbsup:

Why would you want to get the 57 in to town? I was forced to recently due to having my dog with me and it was awful and took about 100 years to get there.

Getting the SL and the tram is much better and quicker.

Probably because it's a direct service and not sure where you travel to and from, but looking at the timetables provided both the SL/Supertram and 57 should take around the same journey time. However the 57 has the advantage of been a through service and no worries about the tram pulling away as the bus pulls in at Middlewood like what generally happens.

It's a shame that we have seen the 57 (and old 58) services been downgraded so much. Once a very busy and popular service with First, until Stagecoach muscled in and created the SL. Now it seems like it was a case of them biting too much off than they can chew, given the downgrades to the 57 and complete withdrawal of the 58.

Probably because it's a direct service and not sure where you travel to and from, but looking at the timetables provided both the SL/Supertram and 57 should take around the same journey time. However the 57 has the advantage of been a through service and no worries about the tram pulling away as the bus pulls in at Middlewood like what generally happens.

It's a shame that we have seen the 57 (and old 58) services been downgraded so much. Once a very busy and popular service with First, until Stagecoach muscled in and created the SL. Now it seems like it was a case of them biting too much off than they can chew, given the downgrades to the 57 and complete withdrawal of the 58.

Or they created a much more popular service that people now use instead of the 57/58 and so the need for them has reduced?

Or they created a much more popular service that people now use instead of the 57/58 and so the need for them has reduced?

OK, so comparing the "much more popular service" now compared with the situation before Stagecoach came along in 2007, there are now fewer buses between Stocksbridge and Sheffield in peak hours, slightly more (7v5) in the off peak and fewer in the evening and Sundays. Added to this, journey times have increased due to the interchange penalty at Middlewood and when there is disruption on the tram the SL service has difficulty.

Stagecoach as also changed the 265 buses from Barnsley to Sheffield,to the Number 2 and no early bus service to get people to work now,got a email reply from Stagecoach saying they cut the service because not enough people catching the early buses

Stagecoach as also changed the 265 buses from Barnsley to Sheffield,to the Number 2 and no early bus service to get people to work now,got a email reply from Stagecoach saying they cut the service because not enough people catching the early buses

This is what happens when public transport is run on a commercial basis with no subsidy. The government have cut the money available to SYPTE and whether we like it or not Stagecoach, First st al are in it for the profits.

Excellent news.:)

Stagecoach bus are trying to co-ordinate the tram link so that buses and trams connect and passengers no longer watch their connection pulling out and will hold bus when tram approaching (unfortunately they have to rely on a visual sighting as supertram can not as yet tell them when the tram will arrive)

Now the bad news!:(

StagecoachSupertram is not interested and are happy for their trams to leave a minute early but refuse to hold tram even when the arriving bus is clearly visible. They delight in leaving the passengers to wait

Please support Stagecoach bus as they try and put the link into Supertramlink and tell Stagecoach Supertram what you think of them (for those not aware Stagecoach bus and Stagecoach tram are separate companies)