Sheffield 10k / Students return and Sheffield Derby

If Manchester can cope with the Michael Carrick testimonial at Old Trafford and the One Love concert at Old Trafford on the same day..... I'm sure we'll cope with the Derby game and 10k. :roll:

It's not just the roads though is it ?

It's people who signed up for the 10k but go to games and it's families who will be around the race and not want to get caught up in any possible trouble.

It's not just the roads though is it ?

It's people who signed up for the 10k but go to games and it's families who will be around the race and not want to get caught up in any possible trouble.

Agreed! I want to do both (hopefully still can) but there will be idiots around, together with lots of kids watching parents run. Not ideal.

I think people are over-reacting, a lot of the roads will be open by 11 and there are plenty of available routes to get to hillsborough even with the roads closed, especially as the trams aren't affected. The 10k run doesn't really need any police presence so not sure why that would affect their resources.

I think people are over-reacting, a lot of the roads will be open by 11 and there are plenty of available routes to get to hillsborough even with the roads closed, especially as the trams aren't affected. The 10k run doesn't really need any police presence so not sure why that would affect their resources.

I think 11.30 is more likely - the kids race round town doesn't start till 10.45 at the earliest. Whilst Ecclesall Road will open at 11am, I'd bet most of the centre roads are still closed.

Bearing in mind people have to get to the ground for 12noon, they'll need to be on the road for 10am.

Plus as was mentioned, there's always the knuckledraggers who want to cause trouble who will be out and about, when there's a family event on :(

Guest sibon
I think 11.30 is more likely - the kids race round town doesn't start till 10.45 at the earliest. Whilst Ecclesall Road will open at 11am, I'd bet most of the centre roads are still closed.

Bearing in mind people have to get to the ground for 12noon, they'll need to be on the road for 10am.

Plus as was mentioned, there's always the knuckledraggers who want to cause trouble who will be out and about, when there's a family event on :(

Most of the knuckledraggers will be shouting at each other from behind police horses on Hillsborough corner. Town will be fine, especially if the pubs don't open early.

Agree with most of the comments here but still a stupid situation to have 2 major events affecting all Sheffield football supporters, adults and children, and all Sheffield 10k runners and supporters, adults and children, happening on the same day within a few hours. Bad enough if you and the family just want to attend one event but more so if you all want to attend both of them - not to mention only being able to have one special day instead of two. Yes 0K I know it will only be a special day for 1 set of supporters !!

Ridiculous decision that should be reviewed and overturned.

Surely this will be absolute carnage?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/confusion-as-sheffield-wednesday-v-sheffield-united-derby-clash-moved-to-the-same-day-as-sheffield-10k-1-8657854

The date for the first Steel City derby of the season has been moved for TV purposes and will now clash with the Sheffield 10K.

:loopy::loopy::loopy:

Absolute carnage?

The 10k will take place about 4 miles from Hillsborough and will have been over for about 2 hours before the match kick-off.

Next carnage - man shops at Sainsbury's on the Moor as match kicks off at Bramall Lane and loaf gets squashed.

the southyorkshire police think its okay and the scc think its okay and the 2 football clubs so what could go wrong?

Carnage? What, as in "the violent killing of a large number of people"?

Blimey. Think I'll stop indoors then

I'd more call it "a poor decision but one that will nevertheless cause minor disruption for a relatively short period". But that's what you get when you let money and Sky take over what used to be the working person's sport. They call the shots and anyone else (public, fans and police) can take a running jump if they don't like it

Edited by Squiggs

Football has sold it's soul to Sky and the TV companies so they will do as they are told. The old adage "He who pays the piper calls the tune" still applies today.