Sheffield 10k / Students return and Sheffield Derby

Guest sibon

Welcome to Sheffield to all the new students and their families, pity you didn't arrive sooner or at least come for a visit to find your way around the road closures. Good luck to the guys moving into accomodation on Eccy road!

You would have thought that the Universities might have made their students aware of the two fantastic leisure activities taking place in the city tomorrow and their likely effect upon travel times. After all, they do take £9250 off each of them.

In any case, I'd imagine that most of the students are already safely moved in to the city and are currently shouting and vomiting on West Street. Who in their right mind comes back to University at the end of the weekend?

Edited by sibon

Why is always Ecclesall Road area that is disrupted, why don't they run down Carlisle Street area.

All the factories are closed, minimum disruption.

Or try Firth Park, Longley Park area for a change.

Why is always Ecclesall Road area that is disrupted, why don't they run down Carlisle Street area.

Firth Park? The runners would come back with their trainers missing

How bad is the traffic chaos then. I've seen less cars parked than I expected in the Wadsley area from the football traffic.

This race and others have taken other routes before. The 10k used to go down Penistone Road to Hillsborough, and the half-marathon used to go Don Valley to hunters bar and back. The tour de France shut down roads right across the North of the city.

Ecclesall Road is popular as it's the place with the most cafes etc. and dare I suggest It, the place most likely to have crowds coming out and lining the streets.

I live near hunters bar and got all the way to Kelham Island and back during and just after the race with minimum disruption. Just cut across to Bramall Lane then round the ring road. Took maybe 2-3 mins longer than usual. Roads were actually open again by 11:30 when I went down to Ecclesall Road to the shop.

I've been to my gym in Hillsborough and was surprised to find loads of parking space available. Probably the 2 hr time limit helping though.

So how much chaos, disruption, carnage and mayhem has there actually been?

We've got great weather today, I hope everybody has enjoyed their events - 10k, Football match and Freshers Week.

Just out of interest, how many of the previous posters on this topic have been to one or more of them today?

Guest sibon
So how much chaos, disruption, carnage and mayhem has there actually been?

We've got great weather today, I hope everybody has enjoyed their events - 10k, Football match and Freshers Week.

Just out of interest, how many of the previous posters on this topic have been to one or more of them today?

I got to the football in record time. I had to sunbathe in the park to fill in the time.

Thank you Sheffield 10k for teaching me a quicker route to Hillsborough:cool:

Bit hilly up to firth park / Longley, would reduce the entices and money raised for charity. Eccy Rd pretty flat. No reason that they could not go via Kelham Island / Carlisle st though.

I'd just like to say big thank you* to the jobsworth bus driver of the half-empty double-decker Stagecoach bus who point-blank refused to pick up (or even look at) the 20 or so old men and little kids standing at the bus stop outside Hillsborough this afternoon as he drove past them at 3mph. Outstanding customer service. *sarcasm

And a genuinely big thanks to the First bus driver who came a few minutes later and who saved me a very long wait, with severe back pain, for another bus by allowing me to hop on even though it wasn't your stop. Your kindness was the only decent thing to happen all afternoon.

there was a bus driver in town who was changing over from another driver, and he let a wednesday fan (on his own) on when he seen a big wave of red coming down the street.

that was really lovely