A teenager in the 60's.

3 minutes ago, kidley said:

My Bold

I do agree the 50sAnd sixties were the two best decades to live in, my wage was in 1961, £1.17.6 per week rising to just under £8 at 18 and i was always skint. like most other apprentices were, but loved every minute of that era, carnt remember what my favourite record was but, my favourite program's was the 6-5 special and  Oh Boy.

6-5 Special was a ground breaking program in those days and it was my Dads cousin Josephine Douglas and Pete Murray who presented the show. As for as cash is concerned I to was an apprentice I started work at Walter Fox's in 1965 and was on 3 . 2 .6d at 15 but by the time I was 18 it had risen by a fair amount that allowed me to enjoy my self .Who said he spent 3/4 of his money on women and wasted the rest?well in the summer of love 1967 I must admit I followed his advice.  ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE.

Yes the Locarno and the City were good places, not forgetting Freds on infirmary road 

2 hours ago, kidley said:

My Bold

I do agree the 50sAnd sixties were the two best decades to live in, my wage was in 1961, £1.17.6 per week rising to just under £8 at 18 and i was always skint. like most other apprentices were, but loved every minute of that era, carnt remember what my favourite record was but, my favourite program's was the 6-5 special and  Oh Boy.

You sound 

about my age and yes it was a bit different in the early part of the decade,especially as an apprentice.I was on a quid an hour more than you in 1961 and about the same as you in '63. I wasn't a teen anymore by '65 and married in '67. However I do agree with Charlie in general but it appears his teen income was higher than ours because he is probably a tad younger and that income is more likely in the second half of the decade.  I too was making good money by then but also married with a mortgage and a kid by 1968.

Still enjoyed those'60s days immensly however.