A teenager in the 60's.

So many good things about the 60's.................................

I use to buy my clothes from Sexy Rexy's near Furnival Gate, remember buying a pair of black crushed velvet flared

trousers that I use to wear with a 2 inch wide white belt, platform shoes with the soles and heels that high you could put

scaffolding up to them and a granddad vest which was the fashion those days.

Along came Austin Reeds at the opposite side of the road selling mod gear, I'd buy bits and bobs from them then go to Burtons

at the top of Dixon Lane to get a double breasted suit on the tick.....I was kitted out then has a Mod.

The groups at that time were marvellous - I cannot say who my favourite group was, has there were so many:

Small Faces, Dave Clarke 5, Hollies, The Beatles to name just a few.

A few people on here have mentioned a 'Special Song'  - San Francisco - one of my favourites was 'Monday Monday' by The Mama's and papa's. 

On 27/05/2019 at 00:57, JOHN HABS said:

So many good things about the 60's.................................

I use to buy my clothes from Sexy Rexy's near Furnival Gate, remember buying a pair of black crushed velvet flared

trousers that I use to wear with a 2 inch wide white belt, platform shoes with the soles and heels that high you could put

scaffolding up to them and a granddad vest which was the fashion those days.

Along came Austin Reeds at the opposite side of the road selling mod gear, I'd buy bits and bobs from them then go to Burtons

at the top of Dixon Lane to get a double breasted suit on the tick.....I was kitted out then has a Mod.

The groups at that time were marvellous - I cannot say who my favourite group was, has there were so many:

Small Faces, Dave Clarke 5, Hollies, The Beatles to name just a few.

A few people on here have mentioned a 'Special Song'  - San Francisco - one of my favourites was 'Monday Monday' by The Mama's and papa's. 

The best era by a mile .Everyone had money to burn there was no need to struggle in those days you could leave one job and have a choice of half a dozen jobs by teatime.Everything was booming everything was changing unlike today when everything is on it's knees.Such a marvellous feel about the country everyone was happy the fashions and music were fabulous everyone had a smile on their face.

In 1968 I was bringing home about 14 pounds a week and I could do and buy anything I wanted and have money left over in my pocket by the next pay day and believe me at 18 years of age I spent what at the time was loads and loads enjoying my self and running a sports car.I was living a dream as were most other guys of my age I was not anything special.I feel so sorry for the young today I think this generation are the first to have it worse than their parents had it.Before previous generation always had it better than the parents but not now .Not many young guys can afford a roof over their heads like we could even basic needs are now out of reach of some people .We have gone backwards we are so lucky to have lived in an era of plenty.

9 minutes ago, Janet Olsen said:

Pretty much sums it up Petcharlie.

Yes it doe"s………  I was exactly the same as Chas.

thanks to the 60's music I can sing along with the music  on 'gold'!   I was in love with my boyfriend at the time and all The Beatles!  I don't have a fave record of that time all the music was great.

On 28/05/2019 at 05:32, petcharlie said:

The best era by a mile .Everyone had money to burn there was no need to struggle in those days you could leave one job and have a choice of half a dozen jobs by teatime.Everything was booming everything was changing unlike today when everything is on it's knees.Such a marvellous feel about the country everyone was happy the fashions and music were fabulous everyone had a smile on their face.

In 1968 I was bringing home about 14 pounds a week and I could do and buy anything I wanted and have money left over in my pocket by the next pay day and believe me at 18 years of age I spent what at the time was loads and loads enjoying my self and running a sports car.I was living a dream as were most other guys of my age I was not anything special.I feel so sorry for the young today I think this generation are the first to have it worse than their parents had it.Before previous generation always had it better than the parents but not now .Not many young guys can afford a roof over their heads like we could even basic needs are now out of reach of some people .We have gone backwards we are so lucky to have lived in an era of plenty.

Ah but we didn't have all the those TV channels and video games Charlie. We had to go out more to get our fun, awful as that may sound to the young uns of today.😁

Hiya there's a 60s weekend at Whitby from the 6 7 8 of June this year it's going to be packed as well 

18 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Ah but we didn't have all the those TV channels and video games Charlie. We had to go out more to get our fun, awful as that may sound to the young uns of today.😁

You are right mate we only had 3 or 4 channels of crap now we have 100 channels of crap.

16 hours ago, Bygum said:

Hiya there's a 60s weekend at Whitby from the 6 7 8 of June this year it's going to be packed as well 

That should be fun.We have been to them at Butlins for the weekend they were superb all the old groups were on .The trouble was picking which venue to go to they had three stages and different groups were playing at the same time .Great memories came flooding back . Searches , Hollies,Vanity fair,Mersey Beats,Amen Corner,Ivy League,Manfred Mann,Fortunes,Dave Berry,Pacemakers,Union Gap,Animals,Swinging Blue Jeans ,Edison Lighthouse,Cuff Links,Tremerlose,Dreamers and many more a great weekend.

Been going to Whitby 60s weekend for 10 years now,it's when we all get nostalgic and think we're 19 again until we try and climb the abbey steps.

12 minutes ago, slotter47 said:

Been going to Whitby 60s weekend for 10 years now,it's when we all get nostalgic and think we're 19 again until we try and climb the abbey steps.

Ha ha so true mate .If I go do you think my hair will grow back?

On 28/05/2019 at 10:32, petcharlie said:

My Bold

I do agree the 50sAnd sixties were the two best decades to live in, my wage was in 1961, £1.17.6 per week rising to just under £8 at 18 and i was always skint. like most other apprentices were, but loved every minute of that era, carnt remember what my favourite record was but, my favourite program's was the 6-5 special and  Oh Boy.