A teenager in the 60's.

As we're on about Joe Cocker, I recall watching a show on TV in the US -probably early 1990's- Joe sang 'Mr. Bus Driver' first recorded by Bruce Channel, he of 'Hey Baby' (1962). Any one recall that song ? as it was right up Joe's street, or Tasker Road, Crookes.

Bruce Channel had a hit with Hey Baby again in the 80s when it was used in the film Dirty Dancing. Not sure if it was re-recorded or the original. Don't recall that other song at all though.

Bruce Channel had a hit with Hey Baby again in the 80s when it was used in the film Dirty Dancing. Not sure if it was re-recorded or the original. Don't recall that other song at all though.

That song "Mr. Bus Driver" is good rocker, you should seek it out Tony.

Does anyone remember Joe playing at the Prince of Wales on Division Street 1967. The small room was upstairs and the place was so packed they opened the windows and crowds stood in the street (Westfield Terrace) with pint pots in hand listening to the show

With Joe's Avengers from 61 to 65,great to think people thought so much about us. I keep saying I will write the real Joe Cocker story (When we backed him) Most of the things written about him are fables,even J.P. Beans version.. written by people who never knew him.but who would be bothered to read it? along with Phil Crookes,replaced by Dave Hopper on lead. Bob Everson,(Bass) Steve Mc Kenna,and Dave Memmott, both excellent drummers. I still have my dates book,however we kept up I don't know, we played almost every night as well as having our day jobs. The sixties were the best days of our lives even tho: we didn't know it at the time. God I wish it was like that these days .

Keep Rockin' man.

I worked with Bob Everson in early 70s at Mcvities cakes and went to see him play a few times.

I heard that Joe became rather disillusioned with the pop scene in 1966 and was stacking shelves in W H Smiths. But that could be just rumour. I think Chris Stainton was instrumental in encouraging Joe to do his own version of With a Little Help from my Friends.

Where was W H Smiths in 1966? I ask because Davys was still trading in 1966, from where it is now located.

Where was W H Smiths in 1966? I ask because Davys was still trading in 1966, from where it is now located.

Had we heard of WH Smith back then?

wasn't there a WHSmiths in bridge st around that time .Below the bus terminus

---------- Post added 25-02-2018 at 15:34 ----------

think it may have just been wholesale though

Had we heard of WH Smith back then?

It's a very old firm. They were mainly on railway stations years ago.

wasn't there a WHSmiths in bridge st around that time .Below the bus terminus

---------- Post added 25-02-2018 at 15:34 ----------

think it may have just been wholesale though

That place on Bridge Street was Weston's and became Gray's Motorcycles after they moved out.

yes St that's was it remember now not smiths at all

What I remember most about Bridge Street was the pub( Wheatsheaf?) where all the "specials" for Hillsborough used to line up outside. Roll out of the pub onto a bus lol. Maybe that's where you got the WH from :hihi:

What I remember most about Bridge Street was the pub( Wheatsheaf?) where all the "specials" for Hillsborough used to line up outside. Roll out of the pub onto a bus lol. Maybe that's where you got the WH from :hihi:

Yes the Wheatsheaf. It was a Duncan Gilmour's pub and their brewery was next door and Tennant's (later Whitbread's) was on the other side of Bridge Street