A teenager in the 60's.

Shame. It was a favourite with many of our 'gang'.

Saturday night dance, St. Columbas, Crosspool, early 60's. Great nights. And at the Fleur de Lys, Totley. Ride on Josephine.

The Fleur de Lys has been converted into apartments, Ozzie Tyler will be spinning in his grave, bless him

In 1967 when I worked at the NCB Pensions and Insurance Branch on Rutland Park I remember Joe arriving to collect his then girlfriend Eileen W from the offices at the end of the day. I think at that time, pre-stardom, he still worked as a gasfitter and I'm not sure whether Eileen is the former girlfriend you refer to WhiteFender.

echo.

I think Joe had become a professional before 1967 as he had a (Decca) record contract in 1964.

---------- Post added 18-02-2018 at 23:27 ----------

We went to DECCA studios in London purposely to record 'RIDE ON JOSEPHINE' but it was never released, we never had an explanation.

There were other songs that Joe recorded-perhaps B sides- written or co written with Chris Stainton : 'Marjorine' and 'Somethings Comin' On', that seem to have disappeared.

I think Joe had become a professional before 1967 as he had a (Decca) record contract in 1964.

There were other songs that Joe recorded-perhaps B sides- written or co written with Chris Stainton : 'Marjorine' and 'Somethings Comin' On', that seem to have disappeared.

There is a good version of "Saved" on the free disc that came with the book " Not like a proper job". I don't think it was a studio track, maybe done at the 'Swan". Can't find the bloody CD to check the date. The disc is all outtakes and demos. There is Dave Berry singing an Elvis song and my old pals the late Pete Fender(Trefor Jones) and the Strollers doing "Whole Lotta Shaking Going On".

I can understand why a lot of people look upon the '60s as the golden age. It was a decade when a lot of exciting things were happening. For me, though, the '50s were the best. It was the decade when popular music went from dreary ballads to rock'n roll. It was the decade when Bill Haley, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buddy Holly came on the scene. In a different musical genre, Chris Barber, Ottilie Patterson and Lonnie Donnegan played at the City Hall. Rationing on everything, including sweets, stopped during the 50s and the new Queen visited Sheffield, Hillsborough stadium (great choice!!) to the delight of all us schoolkids. Polio was virtually eliminated as the Salk vaccine came on stream. And as a young lad of 16, I had my first pint of ale in that pub (the Albert?) across from City Hall, listening to a trad jazz band. Sweet memories.

I think it depends when you were born. I believe if you were born early 40's rather than the late 40's your musical tastes differ quite a bit.

I grew up listening to Lonnie Donnegan as my uncle was born in the middle 30's and was a huge fan, it didn't appeal to me.

All my mates were either into Elvis or Beatles, I enjoyed both plus Roy Orbison, Bubby Holly.

I think you were either a pop/rock fan or jazz, not many folk enjoyed both though I could be wrong.

One thing we all had in the 60's was optimism which the young don't have the luxury of now, we all knew that life was on the up!

Duffems

I can understand why a lot of people look upon the '60s as the golden age. It was a decade when a lot of exciting things were happening. For me, though, the '50s were the best. It was the decade when popular music went from dreary ballads to rock'n roll. It was the decade when Bill Haley, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buddy Holly came on the scene. In a different musical genre, Chris Barber, Ottilie Patterson and Lonnie Donnegan played at the City Hall. Rationing on everything, including sweets, stopped during the 50s and the new Queen visited Sheffield, Hillsborough stadium (great choice!!) to the delight of all us schoolkids. Polio was virtually eliminated as the Salk vaccine came on stream. And as a young lad of 16, I had my first pint of ale in that pub (the Albert?) across from City Hall, listening to a trad jazz band. Sweet memories.

Well every one has a right to an opinion mate and I respect yours I to remember the 50s but in my opinion it was not a patch on the 60s .Having said that I do believe the 50s era opened up you freedoms for the young people which we in the 60s exploited to the full.We were a lot more affluent in the sixties and we could do a lot more with our money.Now when I say affluent I do not mean our pockets were full of 20 pound notes but the money we did have could buy a hell of a lot with it.I could afford a car and have holidays abroad which the generation before could not do.

You could be right St Petre. It's a long time ago!

It states in his obituary that following the failure to chart of his cover version of the Beatles song 'I'll cry instead' his contract with Decca lapsed and he subsequently reverted back to his gas board job. That would presumably be 1964.

In '65 he formed the first incarnation of the 'Grease Band' and for a couple of years they played in northern pubs and clubs.

I think it was in '68 that EMI released 'Majorine' which reached number 48 in the charts.

I had the impression that between '65 and '68 he still worked for the gas board and gigged part time.

echo.

I heard that Joe became rather disillusioned with the pop scene in 1966 and was stacking shelves in W H Smiths. But that could be just rumour. I think Chris Stainton was instrumental in encouraging Joe to do his own version of With a Little Help from my Friends.

You could be right St Petre. It's a long time ago!

It states in his obituary that following the failure to chart of his cover version of the Beatles song 'I'll cry instead' his contract with Decca lapsed and he subsequently reverted back to his gas board job. That would presumably be 1964.

In '65 he formed the first incarnation of the 'Grease Band' and for a couple of years they played in northern pubs and clubs.

I think it was in '68 that EMI released 'Majorine' which reached number 48 in the charts.

I had the impression that between '65 and '68 he still worked for the gas board and gigged part time.

echo.

Yes, Joe did go for about 4 years without a record contract so you may be right. Joe then- as you say- signed for EMI. So that was 2 acts that Decca buggered off to lose them to EMI, Joe Cocker and The Beatles ! Thank you echo.

I heard that Joe became rather disillusioned with the pop scene in 1966 and was stacking shelves in W H Smiths. But that could be just rumour. I think Chris Stainton was instrumental in encouraging Joe to do his own version of With a Little Help from my Friends.

Good old Chris still going strong, better than ever with Clapton touring again, along with our other Sheffield keyboard man Paul Carrack on Hammond. Saw them in concert in 2015 or 16. Finished off the night with a Joe Cocker song " High Time We Went", Carrack singing lead. I guess you could call it a Sheffieldish finale.lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

Good old Chris still going strong, better than ever with Clapton touring again, along with our other Sheffield keyboard man Paul Carrack on Hammond. Saw them in concert in 2015 or 16. Finished off the night with a Joe Cocker song " High Time We Went", Carrack singing lead. I guess you could call it a Sheffieldish finale.lol

As we're on about Joe Cocker, I recall watching a show on TV in the US -probably early 1990's- Joe sang 'Mr. Bus Driver' first recorded by Bruce Channel, he of 'Hey Baby' (1962). Any one recall that song ? as it was right up Joe's street, or Tasker Road, Crookes.

Edited by St Petre
Spell