A teenager in the 60's.

Sorry about earlier post st christophers is on Bellhouse rd I was writing another topic about sicey and got confused I think:loopy:

I'm the same age as you Albert. My wife and I were on holiday touring New England when Sinatra died in '98. All the tv stations were broadcasting only Sinatra. It would have seemed much the same, I guess, when President Kennedy died in '63.

When Elvis died every radio station on earth was playing his songs for about a month lol Up to about 4 years ago most TV stations had all Elvis' movies playing around his birthday and his death date.

Edited by Ontarian1981

My wife and I are going to see Gerry and the Pacemakers and the Searchers in November and have booked to see Joe Brown next Feb. For music, it was a great decade. Joe Cocker (aka Vance Arnold and the Avengers was a great act to follow round Sheffield pubs and clubs.

I was 17 in 1960. I saw "Vance Arnold" at one of the pubs, don't remember which. At the time, he didn't impress me. :roll: Of course, I grew to like his music and he became a legend. :thumbsup:

Saw Joe Cocker early 60s at St Cuthbert's Firvale thought he was brilliant then

With Joe's Avengers from 61 to 65,great to think people thought so much about us. I keep saying I will write the real Joe Cocker story (When we backed him) Most of the things written about him are fables,even J.P. Beans version.. written by people who never knew him.but who would be bothered to read it? along with Phil Crookes,replaced by Dave Hopper on lead. Bob Everson,(Bass) Steve Mc Kenna,and Dave Memmott, both excellent drummers. I still have my dates book,however we kept up I don't know, we played almost every night as well as having our day jobs. The sixties were the best days of our lives even tho: we didn't know it at the time. God I wish it was like that these days .

Keep Rockin' man.

With Joe's Avengers from 61 to 65,great to think people thought so much about us. I keep saying I will write the real Joe Cocker story (When we backed him) Most of the things written about him are fables,even J.P. Beans version.. written by people who never knew him.but who would be bothered to read it? along with Phil Crookes,replaced by Dave Hopper on lead. Bob Everson,(Bass) Steve Mc Kenna,and Dave Memmott, both excellent drummers. I still have my dates book,however we kept up I don't know, we played almost every night as well as having our day jobs. The sixties were the best days of our lives even tho: we didn't know it at the time. God I wish it was like that these days .

Keep Rockin' man.

Hi there, I knew Steve McKenna at school and from your early Avengers days. Is he still alive and kicking, if so how is he doing, are you still in touch with him?

Keep Rockin' man.

Write it on here Whitefender ,we of a certain age will be very grateful.

Is it true for instance that Joe walked around with a cheque for fifty thousand quid tucked in his back pocket,is it true that he bought a girl friend a house on a whim and so on .

Watch-it Albert.thanks for the great memories.

As stated with Joe for 4 yrs;fetched and carried him about all over Yorkshire, Many times he was never in a fit state to know where he was or who's car /van he was in. Stayed at my house many times ,he was afraid to go home in a "confused state" afraid of what his mum would do to him (Slightly affected by alcohol)Lol.he was only 18 /19 at the time.

The incident regarding the cheque in the back pocket was after my time with him but I think it was the payment for his appearance at WOODSTOCK, probably estimated at over a million nowadays.

He did buy a house for his former girlfriend very near to where he lived in Crookes, there lies another funny story, Unprintable on here by the way. Lol.

Thanks for the memorys AL.

Keep Rockin' Man.!!

Keep Rockin' man.

You are right mate we had no idea that we were living in the best era ever.We thought it was always like this .How wrong we were wish I had taken more notice of it then.I was to busy enjoying my self to notice what we had and what we were living through.Magic pure magic.Please come back.If only.

Watch-it Albert.thanks for the great memories.

As stated with Joe for 4 yrs;fetched and carried him about all over Yorkshire, Many times he was never in a fit state to know where he was or who's car /van he was in. Stayed at my house many times ,he was afraid to go home in a "confused state" afraid of what his mum would do to him (Slightly affected by alcohol)Lol.he was only 18 /19 at the time.

The incident regarding the cheque in the back pocket was after my time with him but I think it was the payment for his appearance at WOODSTOCK, probably estimated at over a million nowadays.

He did buy a house for his former girlfriend very near to where he lived in Crookes, there lies another funny story, Unprintable on here by the way. Lol.

Thanks for the memorys AL.

Keep Rockin' Man.!!

In 1967 when I worked at the NCB Pensions and Insurance Branch on Rutland Park I remember Joe arriving to collect his then girlfriend Eileen W from the offices at the end of the day. I think at that time, pre-stardom, he still worked as a gasfitter and I'm not sure whether Eileen is the former girlfriend you refer to WhiteFender.

echo.

Saturday night dance, St. Columbas, Crosspool, early 60's. Great nights. And at the Fleur de Lys, Totley. Ride on Josephine.

We went to DECCA studios in London purposely to record 'RIDE ON JOSEPHINE' but it was never released, we never had an explanation.