Anyone had PIP home assessment?

Has anyone any experiences of a PIP home assessment and especially how long does it take to get one? Do you have to ask your doctor to write a letter for you to the DWP, stating why you need one? Does it take longer to get one than a normal appointment when they ask you to come into their offices?

My last review was at home, I didn't notice it taking any longer in 1/ waiting time and 2/ the length of the interview.

Mine was arranged by "Manor & Castle" advice/help centre" so I'm not sure how it was done, one thing for sure is you need someone with a title or company behind you,

though a Doctors letter may do it (he/she is titled)

It's sad to say, but I believe when individuals apply it gets knocked back just for the fun of it (and to see if you really need/want it enough to re-apply/appeal) but with a name behind you their more likely to take an intrest.

Yes, cant recall the time scale now though. Just that i had to tell them all the gory details.

My brother's home visit lasted 2 hours, despite being told it would be about 40 mins . They even looked through his bookcase  no doubt thinking if he read intelligent books he was not disabled. He was turned down and we helped him put in an appeal... that was 10 months ago  and he's still waiting. it's criminal.

On 18/09/2017 at 15:19, Itrytoplease said:

My last review was at home, I didn't notice it taking any longer in 1/ waiting time and 2/ the length of the interview.

Mine was arranged by "Manor & Castle" advice/help centre" so I'm not sure how it was done, one thing for sure is you need someone with a title or company behind you,

though a Doctors letter may do it (he/she is titled)

It's sad to say, but I believe when individuals apply it gets knocked back just for the fun of it (and to see if you really need/want it enough to re-apply/appeal) but with a name behind you their more likely to take an intrest.

I have to disagree somewhat. My friend does all her own pip stuff and to be honest if one is genuinely disabled, there shouldn't be a problem.  I sometimes wonder why people are so worried about these interviews/assessments.  Forgive me if I seem harsh I don't mean to be but surely it surely can be proved with consultant letter and being able to see and talk to the claimant...i know not every  disability is apparent but thats where consultant letters come in, isn't it?  

1 hour ago, Jason302 said:

I have to disagree somewhat. My friend does all her own pip stuff and to be honest if one is genuinely disabled, there shouldn't be a problem.  I sometimes wonder why people are so worried about these interviews/assessments.  Forgive me if I seem harsh I don't mean to be but surely it surely can be proved with consultant letter and being able to see and talk to the claimant...i know not every  disability is apparent but thats where consultant letters come in, isn't it?  

I have to disagree - I know, through my work, that many people find the process extremely anxiety provoking for a whole range of reasons. I'm also 100% confident that sometimes totally valid claims are turned down for really spurious reasons/no apparent reason at all.

Your friend is lucky in that she feels able to handle it all herself. Many people are not so lucky, find the whole process extremely disressing and have no-one at all to help them.

On 29/07/2020 at 17:56, Halibut said:

I have to disagree - I know, through my work, that many people find the process extremely anxiety provoking for a whole range of reasons. I'm also 100% confident that sometimes totally valid claims are turned down for really spurious reasons/no apparent reason at all.

Your friend is lucky in that she feels able to handle it all herself. Many people are not so lucky, find the whole process extremely disressing and have no-one at all to help them.

That can also can be because they want to do it for them selves and have the power but if you had a consultant remembering is above a doctor then am sure u be fine no problems getting things sorted.

Again disabilities aren't always visible.

But I agree though we shouldn't live in a world where we should prove if we're disabled I guess people just remember what disabled means.. aka the actual meaning of the word... But the world's gone mad

I had one last time I applied for PIP, last year... I didn't ask for one, and would have preferred to not have a home visit...

I still didn't get PIP - still fighting for it!! :(

But generally, you can request during your application, and you can also provide a 'note' from your Dr as evidence...