Work Experience Right Or Wrong

My friends son is doing his at the moment and he only does 4 hours a day which are 4.30am-8.30am and back home for 9.00am goes to bed and the rest of the day he does what he wants.

liza aint that the lad who mis behaves at school if so rumour as it they been told by teachers to give im a ruff time and aint it true he split his thumb as h had no gloves i think it disgusting even if he bad lad shud be treated fairly

Wow, spooky - I also did my work experience there, was a really good two week placement and they actually got us to do decent work (we built a hundred computers over two weeks, managed to break some expensive equipment and were given a lot of responsibility and trust).

Ah, really?

Yeah, it was great, got to build a load for tuffnels, and myers grove school.

Dropped a hard drive from 1.5m, then didnt tell anyone, the bench supervisor tried to install windows on it, and it didnt work (obviously), then procieded to phone up the buying bloke upstairs, and have a go at him for getting crappy hard drives.

Owned up in the end.

Were the bench people Ian and someone else?

Adam

Work experience when done right is very good for those involved.

A few basic rules should be observed though it should be beneficial for the candidate as well as the employer.

That means that as well as the employer getting someone to assist them the candidate should be given some useful training as well.

Of course health and safety should always be the first priority.

There are many other benefits for the candidate in that they gain vital experience in the work place and in particular how to be part of the team at work.

Where I work we have had many placements and without exception i believe they have always enjoyed it and have benefited from the experience.

welcome to the working world! :D

You can't expect the people 'employing' your son to give him anything important or '****-upable' so sanding and tea's don't sound too bad! ;)

Our nursery had a work experience girl a couple of weeks ago. I had the chance to have a chat with her and she told me what a shock it was to realise that working in a nursery wasnt all playing with babies and toys. :D She really appreciated the opportunity and thanked us at the end (you never know she may turn up as a student next)

Kids left school at 15 (and younger) to support their families for years by working some of the worst jobs imaginable.Kids these days complain about everything.They are sent to school for 6 hours a day to sit around and write a few bits of text but can still manage to moan and the day being too long.

Work experiance is meant to give the kids an insight into the world or work, what goes into running a company, the different roles withen a company etc, they should not be used as free labour.

Last year when I was working in a shop to pay for my gap year, we had a work experiance girl. The manager wouldn't let her do anyhing other than stand and greet customers - this is only a tiny part of the work that goes on in a shop and she should have been working with others getting an overwiew of every role.

Also the hours they work should be the same or similar to the school hours. It is just unfortunate that some companies treat these kids badly. I don't think that they should be doing the menial tasks on their own, but working with an employee, helping them with their tasks.

I did mine in a vets, so there wasn't that much I could actually do, beside watch. I did get to hoover the waiting room and wash the bloody instruments they'd used though lol!

Work experiance is meant to give the kids an insight into the world or work, what goes into running a company, the different roles withen a company etc, they should not be used as free labour.

Last year when I was working in a shop to pay for my gap year, we had a work experiance girl. The manager wouldn't let her do anyhing other than stand and greet customers - this is only a tiny part of the work that goes on in a shop and she should have been working with others getting an overwiew of every role.

Also the hours they work should be the same or similar to the school hours. It is just unfortunate that some companies treat these kids badly. I don't think that they should be doing the menial tasks on their own, but working with an employee, helping them with their tasks.

if they are experiencing work, then surely they should work a full day like they'll have too when they leave school.

Ah, really?

Yeah, it was great, got to build a load for tuffnels, and myers grove school.

Dropped a hard drive from 1.5m, then didnt tell anyone, the bench supervisor tried to install windows on it, and it didnt work (obviously), then procieded to phone up the buying bloke upstairs, and have a go at him for getting crappy hard drives.

Owned up in the end.

Were the bench people Ian and someone else?

Adam

I can't really remember, I remember Adrian the office manager and a couple of others (Ian rings a bell) - when did you do it? we spent most of the time doing tuffnells machines (without a CD drive :P), but had to do an afternoon filing once, that wasn't particularily exciting :P

I think the workload depends on the company. Cos I'm not sure if their insurance covers work experience people !

Liza: I think to be fair, the workload of a decorator and painter is just that. I've done a bit of DIY myself, and I think that the people who do it for a living will have hardened hands. Whereas your son may not have. There's nothing wrong with them asking him to do something, BUT if your son is not equiped with safety equipments and such-like, he can be assertive and say so. He should also be taught how to lift and carry things properly, without straining his back. He needs to ask the people how it's done properly. It's all about training afterall. He shouldn't be shy about it, but speak up and ask how to do things properly without injuring himself permanently.

The school sounds a little bit harsh to put him into isolation, but he just need to work smart, and not just quit so easily. Maybe ask to do other things instead. Unfortunately, painting and decorating are manual work...and it is like that. It's not a cushty office job. Some ppl enjoy the work cos of the physical aspect of it. If the boss was smart, they would at least pay him something afterwards.

I hope he doesn't have too tough a time at the end of it all. He can always bring his own gloves in to do the work though. At least it shows he's keen, and not gonna be beaten by the work !