Autoways 1931 Ltd.

Thanks, yes that seems to be the family. There is another thread about them

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=390534&page=2

where somebody mentions the coach and cars.

My posts #5 and #31 on the above topic, show my connection to the family Philip Lee and why I think it might have been the same. fleetwood

Are the reunions still happening?

Edited by Billam
Grammar.

Anyone know Dave Hague, worked in parts dept, I used to knock around with him, played for works football team together, last time I saw him he was working for Kennings, Chesterfield.

On 30/03/2014 at 21:09, smary said:

I think an old boyfriend worked there - John Shutt - he lives down in Devon now I believe

John Shutt was electrician at Brook Shawn on Shalesmoor, he had a crackin'  little Mini,if I remember correctly.

Not sure that's the same John Shutt - he left Autoways to go on the buses.  He did have a couple of brothers Brian and Raymond.

I was at Autoways '65to '70 ish, electrician was called Ron, think he lived at Foxhill. I was at Brooke's '70/'71ish. Maybe John went to Autoways later, if we talking the same person !

Thanks Roger for starting this post, I'm just sorry I didn't see it much sooner my friend.     

I still receive a Christmas card from Dave and Brenda Hague although we haven't met up for some years. Dave was a very good mate and we often ended up playing cards in Dodgers or the Cremorne after work on a Saturday - we also enjoyed many a drink on Saturday nights with the better halves!

Julian B - is that Julian Brown? if so you'll remember me - I'm the Andy Strafford who lived at yours when my father kicked me out after we had a big bust up!!

Long time no see - last time was when we worked together at Brookies! Another friend of ours from Autoways was Dave Bingham, an ex-school mate of mine, who also went on to work at Brook Shaw's.

I worked at Autoways from 1965 to 1971 and had some great times. I was a sprog working under Don Longley (engine shop) and worked alongside Pete Hobell, Stuart Allen (panel beaters) Bill Lycett and 'Sticks' Holland when I was a 'stripper' in the body shop. Cyril and Stan Stannicliffe (not related) were the 'tricians' at that time

As with all apprentices, we had to spend time in each department to gain basic experience (including paint shop, quick flow service (brakes & lube sides), transmission section etc.  I also remember getting  quite a few 'arm' punches whilst working under Gordon Guest ('Big Gee') for giving him some lip! A fellow apprentice at the time was Graham Knight, who also received a few punishments for being 'lippy' and getting the 'sandwich order' wrong - he ended up in the back office.

The Gaffer (service manager) was Dennis? - before Harry Burdett took the job, foreman; Colin Tunnicliffe (assisted by Ron Whitehouse), chargehand: Roland Danford and the road tester was my cousin, Eric Strafford (who had moved from TC's).

After getting my City & Guilds and National Craftsman certs I was allocated apprentices of my own - one of them, Nigel Anderson ('top lad'), was a great youngster who was a really quick learner.... I taught him how to smoke Castella cigars with an air of arrogance (every Friday after getting my wages) and how to appreciate a good pint of beer.  

Does anyone remember the nice old guy who worked in the tool room?

Great times.

Best wishes and regards to all mates and ex-fellow workers.  

Andy Strafford

Edited by inserv1

Guest makapaka
On 27/10/2022 at 12:09, inserv1 said:

Thanks Roger for starting this post, I'm just sorry I didn't see it much sooner my friend.     

I still receive a Christmas card from Dave and Brenda Hague although we haven't met up for some years. Dave was a very good mate and we often ended up playing cards in Dodgers or the Cremorne after work on a Saturday - we also enjoyed many a drink on Saturday nights with the better halves!

Julian B - is that Julian Brown? if so you'll remember me - I'm the Andy Strafford who lived at yours when my father kicked me out after we had a big bust up!!

Long time no see - last time was when we worked together at Brookies! Another friend of ours from Autoways was Dave Bingham, an ex-school mate of mine, who also went on to work at Brook Shaw's.

I worked at Autoways from 1965 to 1971 and had some great times. I was a sprog working under Don Longley (engine shop) and worked alongside Pete Hobell, Stuart Allen (panel beaters) Bill Lycett and 'Sticks' Holland when I was a 'stripper' in the body shop. Cyril and Stan Stannicliffe (not related) were the 'tricians' at that time

As with all apprentices, we had to spend time in each department to gain basic experience (including paint shop, quick flow service (brakes & lube sides), transmission section etc.  I also remember getting  quite a few 'arm' punches whilst working under Gordon Guest ('Big Gee') for giving him some lip! A fellow apprentice at the time was Graham Knight, who also received a few punishments for being 'lippy' and getting the 'sandwich order' wrong - he ended up in the back office.

The Gaffer (service manager) was Dennis? - before Harry Burdett took the job, foreman; Colin Tunnicliffe (assisted by Ron Whitehouse), chargehand: Roland Danford and the road tester was my cousin, Eric Strafford (who had moved from TC's).

After getting my City & Guilds and National Craftsman certs I was allocated apprentices of my own - one of them, Nigel Anderson ('top lad'), was a great youngster who was a really quick learner.... I taught him how to smoke Castella cigars with an air of arrogance (every Friday after getting my wages) and how to appreciate a good pint of beer.  

Does anyone remember the nice old guy who worked in the tool room?

Great times.

Best wishes and regards to all mates and ex-fellow workers.  

Andy Strafford

Enjoyed reading that Andy - sounds like good memories 

Hi - since my recent posting re-Autoways (1931) Ltd my memory has thrown up some more character's names. Here's the list:-

Johnny Roberts (mechanic - lived on Norfolk Park - best man at my wedding!)

Neil Rodgers (aka 'Spadge' - mechanic, who I think had moved to Brown Street from the commercial workshop which was down Attercliffe )

Stuart Williams/Williamson? (aka 'Little Wille' - trim dept. - went on to work at Williams Bro's [nuts & bolts] on Green Lane)

Bill Eckersley (mechanic - emigrated to Canada)

Allan Huntingdon (reception)

Alan Gregory (aka 'Greg' - 'stripper' in body shop) went on to marry Nora (back office)

Jack Street (aka 'Big Jack' – bodyshop manager) 

'Bill the Bash' [never called by his real name] (panel beater)

Steve Ducker (mechanic - lived at Lowedges - left to become a croupier)

Eric Batty (workshop manager before Colin Tunnicliffe)

Memory fades with age and these are just a few of the many.

Edited by inserv1