Overgrown allotment advice

Guest sibon

I'm going to ring the council tomorrow and see what other site they can offer as I'm allowed to reject 2 and stay at the top of the list. Whatever option you're not going to escape the hard work so I suppose you just have to take the plunge at some point.

You will be lucky if you get one in an easy to cultivate state. Wherever you get one, you'll have some work to do.

I'd suggest clearing a bit at at time and planting up as you go. It is much more encouraging if you can actually see stuff starting to grow. If you get one soon, clear a good sized bed and plant some over-wintering onions and garlic. They don't take much looking after and the sight of those growing might just sustain you a little on a bleak November afternoon as you dig the rest of the plot.

Don't hang about choosing a plot though, as this is the best time to take one on. It gives you the whole winter to get it cleared.

Thanks again all. After much deliberating we've decided to refuse the plot - it just felt like it was going to be a full time job as opposed to a hobby. I fully appreciate there will be work to do, whatever plot and it's not going to be easy, especially in the first year but this plot just felt insurmountable. SCC did say they'd get a ranger to strim but the rest would be up to us.

We can reject 2 and still stay top of the waiting list so we just thought it'd definitely be worth taking a look at another one before committing.

I'm thinking of having an allotment party where everyone brings there spades and I'll provide snacks and drinks. I'll ensure you're all invited. :D