Moving home, advice on areas

I suggest Woodseats, plenty of amenities on your doorstep, two/three primary schools, Graves Park on your doorstep with quick access to the peaks etc. I don't think I'll ever move away from Woodseats

I would also second woodseats. having graves park on the doorstep and plenty of shops/pubs also within spitting distance of meersbrook which also has a good park pubs and shops. Cant see me ever moving away from woodseats.

Another vote here for Beauchief/Millhouses. I love living round there, close to parks, pubs, good restaurants, shops, schools and good access into town with The Peak District right on your doorstep.

We should have a poll on how many people would vote for an area other than where they live.

"I live in X and it's great"... Hardly a surprising sentiment, nor very objective.

We all have a vested interest in our own areas, so we're predisposed to like them, and we also lack experience of other areas to draw any meaningful comparison with them!

I agree. We all have different requirements. The OP hasn't said if anyone needs to have quick access to motorways for general travel or for the commute work or access to a good train service. Ease of travel is the reason I've lived around the edge of Sheffield, never actually in Sheffield. If ease of travel isn't needed on a regular basis then this is irrelevant.

Exactly, and myself and my SO do lots of activities in the city centre, so we ruled out going as far as the nicer villages simply because we'd have to commute twice a day, or we'd have to hang out in town for hrs after work and not get home until bedtime.

Exactly, and myself and my SO do lots of activities in the city centre, so we ruled out going as far as the nicer villages simply because we'd have to commute twice a day, or we'd have to hang out in town for hrs after work and not get home until bedtime.

There is life and activities outside Sheffield city centre you know. :hihi:I used to work in the city centre but moved out to Worksop for that reason. Their leisure centre was much quicker to get to, park at and cheaper than Sheffield and Rotherham so more convenient for me. Road and rail travel were easier and better than Sheffield too, still are.

Haha

The wife is not English (South Africa) she loves Sheffield, but she's never lived anywhere else other than London (in the U.K.) we have lots of Cafes, independent shops etc around us. She understands Sheffield will be different, but a bit of that might help.

I want to be close to the peaks. She might do a few days of work in London, Leeds or Birmingham each month, but motorways not an issue.

Millhouses is definitely somewhere I know a little bit and like. Close (not too close) to Ecclessall Road would be good for bars and restaurants (we go out a fair bit) and I'd considered Ecclesall?

Dore, Fulwood and Ranmoor also seem like good options, but I don't really know them.

Haha

Millhouses is definitely somewhere I know a little bit and like. Close (not too close) to Ecclessall Road would be good for bars and restaurants (we go out a fair bit) and I'd considered Ecclesall?

I've lived in Ecclesall, just off Ecclesall Road South since 1990 and like it well enough. It's handy for both town and the Peak District and walking distance to the bars and restaurants further down Ecclesall Road. It's a good area to bring up kids, quiet and leafy, good schools.

We should have a poll on how many people would vote for an area other than where they live.

"I live in X and it's great"... Hardly a surprising sentiment, nor very objective.

We all have a vested interest in our own areas, so we're predisposed to like them, and we also lack experience of other areas to draw any meaningful comparison with them!

I Agree its partially true what you say. we are predisposed to our own areas. however I think the OP was after that kind of response in order to have an idea what an area was like from people who live there.

In response to lacking experience in other areas to draw comparison I have to disagree. Personally I've lived in Southey, lower Shiregreen, Firth park, Wincobank, Netheredge, Jordanthorpe, Batemoor and now Woodseats. so I have a bit of a spectrum when it comes to ideas about those areas of Sheffield. I suspect not everyone replying to this thread has been born in the house they live in and lived in the same area all their lives. Admittedly I haven't lived in every part of Sheffield but out of the bits I have lived in i would definitely rather be South Sheffield than north.

How about Meersbrook? Close to the city centre, great park, lots of independent cafes, restaurants and bars within a five to ten minute walk and access to good schools/transport links.