Moving home, advice on areas

Firstly apologies, I know this is well trodden theme, but I'll ask anyway.

I'm Sheffield born and bred, I left Sheffield and moved to London when I finished college.

After 17 years in London I'm now thinking of moving home. I've got some ideas ideas, but my knowledge of the South West side of Sheffield is limited. I grew up on Park Hill flats, so pretty much spent my childhood in the centre or S2.

I need to try and narrow down my search, I'm coming up in a couple of weeks to look at places. Ive got a young family, Ideally good schools, few cafes and pub, pretty green ish area.

Budget shouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm selling a house in London. Thoughts appreciated?

Wow, I guess you'll be getting a good price for your London home.

For me, I like Millhouses as it has something for everyone. You've got good schooling, good transport links, supermarkets, shops, cafes and good transport links. You also have Derbyshire on your doorstep.

In fact, why did I move???:huh:

Thanks Verona, it was on my list. I haven't been down there for years, but have some very fond memories of going to the Lido with my grandparents (I know it went years ago) I'll definitely have a look around Millhouses when I'm up in a couple of weeks.

Millhouses is nice but if you want to be closer to a bigger range of cafes, shops etc I'd also look round Netheredge & Hunters Bar.. Nether Green is also nice (near Endcliffe Park), Brincliffe is sort of between NetherEdge and Hunters Bar (ends at Psalter Lane) so you can easily walk to shops/cafes around Netheredge crossroads and those on sharrowvale rd ((which are particularly good) too. And more in the thick of things but still close to green spaces are places like Southgrove road and the street nearby as they are off ecclesall road but back on to the Botanical Gardens and the houses are huge. Southgrove Rd Particular has a really nice community thing going. Basically I'd search in S7 (Netheredge, millhouses) , S11 and S10 looking at proximity to roads like Psalter Lane, Abbydale, Ecclesall Rd, Sharrovale Rd and parks like millhouses, Endcliffe and the Botanical Gardens.

Hunters Bar has hunters bar primary and catchment for good schools, 20 minute drive to hathersage lido and good pubs

Fulwood. Crosspool. Neither Green. Dore. Whirlow. Totley (some parts). High Stores. Lodge Moor.

Anywhere else is a compromise really. But if your London pad creates no real budget issue you should be good for any of those.

Also some good areas in our neck of the woods - Worral, Oughtibrdge, Grenoside. A bit quieter but still close to amenities and transport links.

Really appreciate the suggestions and it's probably helped me to narrow down the search a bit.

Interesting re suggestion on the north side of Sheffield. I haven't really looked at that.

My preconception of Dore is that its older and maybe less families.

Don't overlook Beauchief, good value, close to amenoties and all main arteries.

Really appreciate the suggestions and it's probably helped me to narrow down the search a bit.

Interesting re suggestion on the north side of Sheffield. I haven't really looked at that.

My preconception of Dore is that its older and maybe less families.

Not anymore. Plenty of young families in Dore now. I do like Dore, but personally I prefer to be a little closer to town and all the amenities.

Also some good areas in our neck of the woods - Worral, Oughtibrdge, Grenoside. A bit quieter but still close to amenities and transport links.

Stocksbridge is nice too, at ours we have a lovely panoramic view across the valley, all green apart from the steelworks.

House prices do seem to be shooting up now we have Fox Valley, though.