Inclusive community in suburb 'will be strengthened by 'Tree Fight'

My mum's just had to winkle a protester out of a bush in her garden on Sheldon Road in Nether Edge, where she was standing to be too close to the tree to cut safely.

I'm sick of both sides personally. They both seem to have a fixed idea that there's no difference between one tree and another. The protesters seem to think that absolutely all trees are worth saving, including the ones on Sheldon Road which really are causing serious problems with the pavements and are London Plane to boot which are strongly suspected to cause really serious breathing problems when the tiny hairs on the back of the leaves get into people's lungs.

On the other side Amey seem to think that if you cut down a tree and plant a tree there's the same number of trees, so what's the problem? It leads to stupid decisions like cutting down two massive poplars with trunks over a meter in diameter and replacing with piddly little Silver Birches which barely deserve to be classified as trees. That's appropriate replacement according to them. They're also happy to cut down truely irreplaceble trees like the Huntingdon Elm which supports the really rare White-Letter Hairstreak butterfly.

The protesters should really be more selective. I doubt many people on Sheldon Road want the trees kept and after many years of repeated hard cutting back they're not very pretty at all.

I was on Sheldon Rd today. Firstly the campaign does not think "that absolutely all trees are worth saving". On Sheldon Rd we have not opposed three fellings due to genuine issues. It's a pity that contributions so often seem to be prefaced with untruths. Unfortunately local residents were met with abuse from a lady today, including a threat of force to a young female neighbour. I appreciate there are differences of opinion but there has not been a single documented example of a tree campaigner being abusive or threatening in three years.

---------- Post added 14-09-2017 at 17:34 ----------

Having said that there are also things we agree over, including the Chelsea Rd elm.

Trees should not be planted so near to houses then there would be no problems

Most trees are old and far too large causing problems so we need to chop them down and replace with smaller type trees ,some house insurance companies will not insure you if there are trees so many feet away from your property let's have more trees planted but in the correct place like woods parks

True. I was once told that the danger from tree roots extends horizontally for the same distance as the tree extends vertically.

My mum's just had to winkle a protester out of a bush in her garden on Sheldon Road in Nether Edge, where she was standing to be too close to the tree to cut safely.

I'm sick of both sides personally. They both seem to have a fixed idea that there's no difference between one tree and another. The protesters seem to think that absolutely all trees are worth saving, including the ones on Sheldon Road which really are causing serious problems with the pavements and are London Plane to boot which are strongly suspected to cause really serious breathing problems when the tiny hairs on the back of the leaves get into people's lungs.

On the other side Amey seem to think that if you cut down a tree and plant a tree there's the same number of trees, so what's the problem? It leads to stupid decisions like cutting down two massive poplars with trunks over a meter in diameter and replacing with piddly little Silver Birches which barely deserve to be classified as trees. That's appropriate replacement according to them. They're also happy to cut down truely irreplaceble trees like the Huntingdon Elm which supports the really rare White-Letter Hairstreak butterfly.

The protesters should really be more selective. I doubt many people on Sheldon Road want the trees kept and after many years of repeated hard cutting back they're not very pretty at all.

London plane is often planted as a street tree and is the most common street tree in London.

From what you say, the lady left once your mother emerged and said she was in favour of its felling? Imagine the other scenario where your mother loved the tree and came home to find it gone, wishing she had been there to prevent it being felled over her land and furious that it had been done without her permission.

When did the trees on Sheldon Road last receive some expert attention? Would your mother be happier had it had a crown reduction rather than be felled entirely? If there really was a proper maintenance programme rather than crude felling then we wouldn't have this conflict.

Edited by Flexo

The trees on Sheldon Road have been a problem for years. The street is eary and dark in the evenings as the trees block much of the light from the old 1930s streetlights that SCC haven't replaced yet.. also in autumn winter the pavement is covered knee deep in leaves 24 7 .. plus the pavements are difficult to use the best of times.. plenty of folk use glen rd to avoid going through Sheldon rd.

As for the Chelsea rd tree, it's affecting the road on a major scale .. when that's gone scc can hopefully get a round to resurfacing the pavements and that section of road..

Edited by WestTinsley

On the other side Amey seem to think that if you cut down a tree and plant a tree there's the same number of trees, so what's the problem? It leads to stupid decisions like cutting down two massive poplars with trunks over a meter in diameter and replacing with piddly little Silver Birches which barely deserve to be classified as trees.

'Please: 'metre'.

Other than that, I like the cut of your jib.

Most trees are old and far too large causing problems so we need to chop them down and replace with smaller type trees ,some house insurance companies will not insure you if there are trees so many feet away from your property let's have more trees planted but in the correct place like woods parks

Planting trees near to roads is part of the whole argument. The tree savers say that the trees must be planted near to the source of pollution

to be active in pollution control. Cars are on the roads and near to houses

The whole argument is going round in circles.

Get rid of pollution making vehicles and trees would not need to be planted

near to houses. But this is will not happen for years if at all.

Planting trees near to roads is part of the whole argument. The tree savers say that the trees must be planted near to the source of pollution

to be active in pollution control. Cars are on the roads and near to houses

Get rid of pollution making vehicles and trees would not need to be planted

near to houses. But this is will not happen for years if at all.

If that were the case why the hell are people bleating on about the destruction of the rainforest?

If that were the case why the hell are people bleating on about the destruction of the rainforest?

I have no idea. As far as I am concerned there is more tree coverage in the city overall than in the last 70 years.

What do you think is the reason?

Sorry, I should have put a "necessarily" in there. It's certainly not the case for every road that the only people who want to keep trees are those that don't have them outside their own properties.

Thank you for clarifying. ?

I have no idea. As far as I am concerned there is more tree coverage in the city overall than in the last 70 years.

What do you think is the reason?

Too right..them bloody trees coming over here...

It's never been as Green..

I remember when there weren't trees in 7 kilometer radius o' waards brewery

Edited by WestTinsley

Cars are on the roads and near to houses

Yes, that's how wheels function.

Trees are OK unless their roots cause disruption- and they tend to do that to house foundations and pavements.