Any cider enthusiasts?

Cripple ****, can't say I've seen it at all around here. Devon cider I believe?

Black Rat is very popular in and around Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset and Devon. It comes at a sensible strength of around 5,5 abv.

http://www.blackratcider.co.uk/about.html

You rarely see it outside the west country.

Blackthorn use to be a good dry cider but these days it is too sweet for my liking. The recipe changed when Gaymers took it over. They produce a different version for the west country called Blackthorn Original which is near to the Blackthorn I use to like.

Natch (Taunton Natural Dry) was another favourite, always in bottles, never draught, around the Bristol area, but that seems to have disappeared off the radar. A lot of pubs in Bristol wouldn't sell Natch fearing attracting the wrong sort of people. It was the tipple of choice of the cider heads who use to hang out on Colston Avenue ... Bristolians often call it 'Tramp Juice' or 'Tinkers Champagne' ... a name which these days has been assigned to Magners.

Cider my drink of choice, but, unfortunately for me it is followed with serious acid reflux.

There was "The County Arms" a Cider pub in Gloucester (sadly gone) where I used to drink, A great pub, farmers would sell "Rough Cider" straight out of the back of their land rovers, bring your own bottle -6d a quart (2.5p and 2 pints in todays money) it was green and cloudy with a kick like a mule.

Cider my drink of choice, but, unfortunately for me it is followed with serious acid reflux.

Yeah the acid is why I only like cider in a black velvet. The stout/Guinness takes away most of the acidity and tartiness but the flavour is still there.

a name which these days has been assigned to Magners.

TBH I would give it another name but would probably get banned. Had an argument with a pub person after ordering some (never had it before) and she gave it me with ice in. Told her I didn't ask for ice and the reply was that's how we are told to serve it. Managed to get a replacement without ice in it and will never drink it again.

---------- Post added 10-09-2017 at 15:35 ----------

Same now happens with me so cant drink it anymore, my favourite drink theses days is IPA.

We have a community cider brewery on our street. Last year we put away about 1200 litres. We've turned some of it into cider brandy - which is absolutely wonderful stuff.

Yeah the acid is why I only like cider in a black velvet. The stout/Guinness takes away most of the acidity and tartiness but the flavour is still there.

May try this. Cheers.

My favourite cider by far is my own home brew. We have a fabulous apple tree which makes the best cider Ive ever tasted. I let it get a little bit fizzy for that extra joy. Its about 8% too so gets you absolutely rat bottomed without realising it.

I'm quite partial to a good cider and my son got me two bottles of Orchard Pig which i've never had before. It went down very well with a rogan josh.

Old Rosie is nice but it's quite strong so try not to drink to much. I like the strong ones but you don't tend to find that many in pubs around here.

There is a Cider company around here (Hawkes Urban Orchard). You can take them apples and they give you some cider. It's a really good idea. Especially if you have an apple tree in your garden and you don't know what to do with the apples.

The wife had a rhubarb one last week in Norfolk.

It tasted like those rhubarb and custard sweets I had as a kid, very sweet, never seen it here except for Rosies Pig

Fruit cider is very much in at the moment. I've just finished working the bar of a very popular beer and cider festival on the Wirral. We shifted about 25 boxes (about 870 pints) over the course of the weekend.

The biggest sellers were Snailsbank Elderflower Gin and Tonic, and Celtic Marches Lily the Pink. The Weston's Rhubarb one (Flat Tyre) was also popular.

http://www.celticmarches.com/

http://www.snailsbankcider.co.uk/