Councils back ‘One Yorkshire’ devolution plan..(except sheff/roth'm)

Good idea but you really spoiled your post with the last five words

Leeds will become the major city if one Yorkshire becomes reality, that's the reason the council will not agree to it. The question is does it matter? I would vote for one Yorkshire regardless of where the headquarters was based.This must be a better way forward than the unfairness of the north south divide.

if we're going for devolution then lets go the whole hog and go for independence

:)

Leeds will become the major city if one Yorkshire becomes reality, that's the reason the council will not agree to it. The question is does it matter? I would vote for one Yorkshire regardless of where the headquarters was based.This must be a better way forward than the unfairness of the north south divide.
I agree.. and I too hope that They don't have Leeds as the A.C.

Remember when SYCC and WYMCC were in operation their Adminstrative Centres were Barnsley and Wakefield respectively.. not Sheffield or Leeds.

There can't be a better place for an A.C. or Assembly than York, if there is to be one.

Edited by WestTinsley

If there was to be an administrative centre it makes sense to place it somewhere with good transport links, also if a new building needs constructing then somewhere with reasonable land prices.

There's tons of brownfield space around Wakefield Kirkgate station, several buildings boarded up and several more that need it.

Redevelop the area and plonk the administrative building right next to a train station on a mainline.

Job done

AC/AT means administrative centre or administrative town...

York is central for all Yorkshire...

AC/AT means administrative centre or administrative town...

York is central for all Yorkshire...

Most of the population is further south though, so it makes sense the AC or AT is also further south.

Yes..The West is the most populated..the West Riding.

York is geographically central and the 'traditional' capital of Yorkshire/the North if yer like.. it's much more interesting a city than Wakefield too may i say..

Yes..The West is the most populated..the West Riding.

York is geographically central and the 'traditional' capital of Yorkshire/the North if yer like.. it's much more interesting a city than Wakefield too may i say..

in these days of the internet and such like you could spread the administration around the region so the benefit which come from the administrative spend is spread around

it's much more interesting a city than Wakefield too may i say..

No-one ever doubted that.

but no-one asked for the most interesting city, just the most reasonable place to locate an administrative centre.

All which is talking theoretically of course because none of this is actually going to happen!!!

Good on Barnsley and Doncaster for fighting for their corner and putting the needs of their residents 1st. Not everything is revolved around Sheffield and on the whole I can see their point - Yorkshire will have more clout and is much well known than just Sheffield on its own.

Was never keen on Sheffield also covering Chesterfield and Worksop, apart from few workers who commute between these places, they have very little in common with the rest if South Yorkshire in terms of workforce and it always looked odd. Plus why was there a need for it to be called the Sheffield City Region?

Good on Barnsley and Doncaster for fighting for their corner and putting the needs of their residents 1st. Not everything is revolved around Sheffield and on the whole I can see their point - Yorkshire will have more clout and is much well known than just Sheffield on its own.

Was never keen on Sheffield also covering Chesterfield and Worksop, apart from few workers who commute between these places, they have very little in common with the rest if South Yorkshire in terms of workforce and it always looked odd. Plus why was there a need for it to be called the Sheffield City Region?

But read today the government has made it clear they never even considered a Yorkshire area, just a Sheffield one.

One D. Cameron is quoted saying we knew yorkshire people hated everyone else, but we had no idea how much they hated each other!

No-one ever doubted that.

but no-one asked for the most interesting city, just the most reasonable place to locate an administrative centre.

All which is talking theoretically of course because none of this is actually going to happen!!!

Hardly. York is where they're proposing it ;)

---------- Post added 20-09-2017 at 16:00 ----------

But read today the government has made it clear they never even considered a Yorkshire area, just a Sheffield one.

One D. Cameron is quoted saying we knew yorkshire people hated everyone else, but we had no idea how much they hated each other!

They're detached from the place. What a bizarre comment that was