Councils back ‘One Yorkshire’ devolution plan..(except sheff/roth'm)

Problem: most of SCR's supposed constituent parts do not wish to be such.

Too true, but they are not going to get in another city region deal as these are geographic regions, and Chesterfield, Barnsley and Doncaster are too far away from Leeds and Nottingham. So they either get less and less £ each budget or they decide to join up.

Sheffield does not have a great attractive city centres like many other large cities. Sure the council isn't run well but you look at other cities of similar size and most of them have problems just as large as Sheffield does if not larger. From my understanding this is not Sheffield council taking over but a directly elected mayor taking over a small number of decisions from councils. All I see is power hungry local mp's who would rather have power and no investment than loose 5% of powers and gain more money for the local town and cities.

We could all vote Jarvis Cocker or the Doncaster Belles Mascot as mayor, hell why not even pick a random racehorse? No idea why we need to keep it only to party politics.

We really are not being taken seriously by the outside world.

That's the outside world that took us seriously enough to offer

900 million quid investment

Apprenticeship grants for employers and an adult skills budget

Consolidated transport budget, bus franchising, local roads investment and smart ticketing

And they offered us that first in the North, ahead of Manchester, Leeds etc.

We would have had that last year but some people preferred it at the back of the queue waiting for a deal which will never come.

I am 100% behind the Yorkshire devolution movement personally.

The handling of the HS2 alone is a clear indication of how little the powers that be care about anything north of Birmingham.

As the biggest county in England and a key tourism spot in the UK, we should be governing ourselves and acting in our own interest.

I don't think they really care about anything North of Watford.

Guest busdriver1
Sheffield's campaign to move the HS2 station to the city centre from a location that better served the wider South Yorkshire region at Meadowhall has shown that is has minimal consideration for other members of the Sheffield city region. You can't blame the leaders of Doncaster and Barnsley for their reluctance to get involved.

The other councils are probably still paying off the student games facilities and continuing to subsidise the tram system.

That is in a nutshell why most other areas do not wish to be part of SCR.

A lack of trust in their areas getting anything other than bills to fund ego trips in Sheffield.

Citymetric tends to have an agenda but if this was the only offer on the table why reject it?

Budget 2017: Philip Hammond just showed that rejecting metro mayors was a terrible, terrible error

http://www.citymetric.com/politics/budget-2017-philip-hammond-budget-cities-metro-mayors-leeds-sheffield

The money was offered up on a plate, but because of local feuding everyone will miss out.

i think the one yorkshire devolution plan is a good idea but it should be run in one of the smaller towns who would share the money better with all involved sheffield or leeds city council would just waste the money they have not got a clue

It seems, according to BBC Look North, that the people of South Yorkshire know very little about it, and care even less. Which is a pity as I think it could be the defining movement of this century.

Sheffield and Rotherham are holding out for a South Yorkshire devolution, which in my opinion will be a none starter. And sounds more egotistical than practical.

We're already missing out on £millions of investment apparently, but since when have Sheffield Council ever gone with the flow, (or got anything right?)

I wish i knew how to do polls on here, so we could see what people thought, or even if they're interested. Perhaps someone could set one up.

It seems, according to BBC Look North, that the people of South Yorkshire know very little about it, and care even less. Which is a pity as I think it could be the defining movement of this century.

Sheffield and Rotherham are holding out for a South Yorkshire devolution, which in my opinion will be a none starter. And sounds more egotistical than practical.

We're already missing out on £millions of investment apparently, but since when have Sheffield Council ever gone with the flow, (or got anything right?)

I wish i knew how to do polls on here, so we could see what people thought, or even if they're interested. Perhaps someone could set one up.

In this case, I think SCC are right to want a South Yorkshire devolved region. The whole of Yorkshire is far too big, and the spending priorities of the rural areas of North Yorkshire will be far removed from the spending priorities of SY. That in turn will lead to inaction, dissent or spreading the spending too thinly.

So, I am very much in favour of an SY devolved region, including Barnsley and Doncaster if possible, or without them if not.

This Brexit madness will put a stop to the EU funding stream. Something needs to replace it.

In this case, I think SCC are right to want a South Yorkshire devolved region. The whole of Yorkshire is far too big, and the spending priorities of the rural areas of North Yorkshire will be far removed from the spending priorities of SY. That in turn will lead to inaction, dissent or spreading the spending too thinly.

So, I am very much in favour of an SY devolved region, including Barnsley and Doncaster if possible, or without them if not.

This Brexit madness will put a stop to the EU funding stream. Something needs to replace it.

Mmm.. I know what you mean about North Yorkshire's needs being very different from our own, (same is probably true of Wales and Scotland's regions,) but do you really think South Yorkshire is a big enough region to have any clout on its own, or will it simply be ignored anyway?

This isn't a case of Sheffield doing anything wrong. It's a case of Barnsley and Doncaster backing out of a deal that had already been agreed by the four South Yorkshire Authorities and was on offer from the Government.

The devolution deals being offered are about City Regions, which are the travel to work areas of cities.

The Government have already said, very clearly, that the greater Yorkshire deal is a non starter and isn't going to happen.

There's £30m per annum on offer. I can't quite understand why Barnsley and Rotherham didn't take the money on offer, show the Government what a good job they re doing with it and THEN suggest to Government that the results would be even better in a larger Yorkshire wide deal.

How can it be a non-starter? Its the deal that was on the table. It still is.

The metro mayor election will still happen in 2018. The Egos seem to be in Doncaster & Barnsley who look to have gambled on Phil Hammond tearing up George Osborne's plans.

Unsurprisingly he stuck to the signed agreement. There is no whole Yorkshire plan on the table.

Sheffield City Region was defined back in 2004. It comprises of Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire, Bolsover, Derbyshire Dales and Bassetlaw

The Sheffield City Region Combined Authority was established in 2014

The Devolution deal was agreed in 2015 to release 900 million to the region on condition of an election of a Metro Mayor. Chesterfield and Bassetlaw pulled out. Barnsley and Doncaster initially signed up for it then decided they wanted to be in a that non-existent whole Yorkshire deal

Meanwhile: Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan had their election and are spending the first of the 900 million on transport infrastructure.