Tramlines Festival - Hillsborough Park

According to the Friends of Hillsborough Park's history section (see FOHP History) the Park as we know it today was 'was gifted to the people of Sheffield.' This happened in 1899. 'In 1906 it re-opened as a public library and park'. So the park belongs to the people of Sheffield and not to any individual or corporation.

Tramlines is happening in about a months time, wherein the organisers will fence off large areas of the park and charge people to enter them in order to hear music. Further more, while the event itself lasts for three days, large areas of the park are being cordoned off from the 11th of July to the 29th of July while the stages get set up etc, (see Facebook scan of public notice) restricting access to various areas such as, presumably, the duck pond (it is not listed as being accessible).

Does this not seem to go against the spirit of having the park belong to everyone?

I agree

The park is a public space and not an event arena.

I should be able to walk around it whenever I feel like it not just when I have paid for certain sections.

According to the Friends of Hillsborough Park's history section (see FOHP History) the Park as we know it today was 'was gifted to the people of Sheffield.' This happened in 1899. 'In 1906 it re-opened as a public library and park'. So the park belongs to the people of Sheffield and not to any individual or corporation.

Tramlines is happening in about a months time, wherein the organisers will fence off large areas of the park and charge people to enter them in order to hear music. Further more, while the event itself lasts for three days, large areas of the park are being cordoned off from the 11th of July to the 29th of July while the stages get set up etc, (see Facebook scan of public notice) restricting access to various areas such as, presumably, the duck pond (it is not listed as being accessible).

Does this not seem to go against the spirit of having the park belong to everyone?

not quite, presumably the guardians of the park have leased it for a fee? to help with upkeep? cant owt wrong with that.

:roll:

Is it a similar setup to Graves park or is it just council owned?

Many years ago when the park was home to the famous Sheffield Show every year (which were great) I believe most of the park was cordoned off and we paid an entrance fee so this is the same thing, Personally I dont think its a good thing moving the tramlines here as its spoiled the spirit of it but Its done now so not much we can do about it I hope its a success though as I am sure it will do the city some good.

Many years ago when the park was home to the famous Sheffield Show every year (which were great) I believe most of the park was cordoned off and we paid an entrance fee so this is the same thing,.

Exactly.

There is a precedent for this going back 30+ years. Clearly while the park is gifted to the "people of Sheffield", the management of the city and parks are done on our behalf by the city authorities.

That's how democracy works.

I see from a post on Facebook that part of Hillsborough Park is going to be closed for 18 days to allow for the setting up and taking down of this event. Seems a bit excessive to me.

Why? How long a period does your own detailed research suggest would be necessary?

Exactly.

There is a precedent for this going back 30+ years. Clearly while the park is gifted to the "people of Sheffield", the management of the city and parks are done on our behalf by the city authorities.

That's how democracy works.

Yes. I remember coming to Hillsborough Park years ago to the Sheffield Show, long before we moved here, was there opposition to that?

The library, kids play area and walled garden are open throughout, and as a regular visitor to, and walker through the park, I don't think other bits being closed will have a long term effect. As a local resident, I hope the park benefits from Tramlines.

Many years ago when the park was home to the famous Sheffield Show every year (which were great) I believe most of the park was cordoned off and we paid an entrance fee so this is the same thing, Personally I dont think its a good thing moving the tramlines here as its spoiled the spirit of it but Its done now so not much we can do about it I hope its a success though as I am sure it will do the city some good.

Excellent point.

Iirc it was about £4 entry. Used to love Sheffield show.

I see from a post on Facebook that part of Hillsborough Park is going to be closed for 18 days to allow for the setting up and taking down of this event. Seems a bit excessive to me.

Not sure that facebook is a reliable source of information.

The stage and fencing will be built during the week prior to the event and will be removed within a couple of days after it is finished so 10 days at the most. :)

The stage and fencing will be built during the week prior to the event and will be removed within a couple of days after it is finished so 10 days at the most. :)

Metalman is correct. The public notice as posted on Facebook by Friends of Hillsborough Park shows the dates from start of set up to clearance as 11th to 29th July.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Sp

The Facebook post has a photograph of the council's public notice on it, so it is a reliable source of information. Next time go look at the sources before you try knocking them.

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 07:17 ----------

Yes. I remember coming to Hillsborough Park years ago to the Sheffield Show, long before we moved here, was there opposition to that?

The library, kids play area and walled garden are open throughout, and as a regular visitor to, and walker through the park, I don't think other bits being closed will have a long term effect. As a local resident, I hope the park benefits from Tramlines.

It's hard to see how the park will benefit from Tramlines. What's said is some vague 'good for the local economy' reasoning with no direct plan for how £1 goes through from a ticket price to assisting in any aspect of the park. Food and drink will no doubt be on sale within the gig area and I suspect the indie fans will throw litter everywhere (i.e. leaving things in a state similar to how Glastonbury gets left - awful and requiring a big cleanup operation). In addition certain aspects of the park itself, such as the Walled Garden, are the work of volunteers. What will the money raised actually be spent on within the park itself? Does anyone know what the plan is?